Using Bluetooth shield to trigger Android Cell Phone Ring Alert

Hey guys,

Brand new here. I'm hoping this community can lead me in the right direction. I have an Arduino UNO and I'd like to be able to pick up a bluetooth shield and program the shield to send an alert to my Samsung Android phone to trigger a ring, vibration, or general audio alert. I know the bluetooth shields are available. Basically I'd like to incorporate a sensor that triggers the bluetooth component to alert the phone. Any idea where I would start? Thanks!

-ricksox

ricksox:
Any idea where I would start?

At the Android end. That is where all your problems will be and, if it turns out that what you want to do is impossible, which is very likely, that is where you will find that out.

It sounds like you are trying to make a lost phone finder but I submit that you would be far better off using a phone for that, like everybody else does, and think of some more useful employment for your Uno.

pick up a bluetooth shield and program the shield to send an alert

Bluetooth is just a peripheral device connected to a serial port. You don't have to programme it, you programme Arduino to communicate via that port. Bluetooth is probably a lot simpler than you think!

Thanks for the reply. Actually, I want to trigger a little gadget that goes on your surf casting reel to send a bluetooth signal to the phone to let you know that you have a fish on. the UNO would be for prototype purposes only.

The first sentence of my previous still applies. It sounds very much like you are attempting to take the fun out of fishing. The sense of the strike is utterly wasted on an Arduino - and on the phone.

Nick_Pyner:
The first sentence of my previous still applies. It sounds very much like you are attempting to take the fun out of fishing. The sense of the strike is utterly wasted on an Arduino - and on the phone.

Thanks for your opinion about it taking the fun out of the "strike". I disagree. Surf casting on the beaches often times involves setting the reel in the sand and waiting. The surf can be loud and if you turn your head for even a couple of seconds you can miss out on a fish.

I'm not going to question your knowledge of the arduino so please don't question mine when it comes to fishing. Now, if you have anything helpful to say please say it. If not, don't bother responding.