Using both WS2812B and WS2813 in same project

I am attempting to use both the WS2812B and the WS2813 in the same project. I am using two separate data signals for the two styles of LEDs.

The project works perfectly when I first power it on, but problems arise when I unplug and replug within a few seconds. Namely, the LEDs display random colours and don't change. The Arduino is still working as expected, just the LEDs do not.

If I disconnect the WS2812B LEDs from the Arduino, then the WS2813 LEDs work no problem and vice versa. The problem only occurs when I try to use both at the same time. I am using a 1500uF capacitor between the 5V and GND for the initial LEDs as well as 1000ohm resistor on the data signal.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1000R sounds a little too high. Try 330R or 470R.

Are you resetting the Arduino between unplugging and re-plugging? Maybe that 1500uF is keeping the Arduino powered, so it does not reset itself.

PaulRB:
Are you resetting the Arduino between unplugging and re-plugging? Maybe that 1500uF is keeping the Arduino powered, so it does not reset itself.

Yes, the Arduino is being reset as well. I have tried with and without the 1500uF capacitor. The issue does not happen every single time and appears to happen less frequently with the capacitor in.

I have an amp and speakers connected to the project as well and they work no problem every time. Even when the lights freeze the sounds still play and the Arduino is still executing the program.

I think you should give us the whole schematic.

I have found that the WS2812 chips with a 470uF capacitor do not reset correctly for a short interruption of power. It was a low current application with a battery powering 36 LEDs but at low brightness such that the total current was about 25mA. I solved this by reducing the capacitor to 47uF so maybe a smaller capacitor might solve this.

However, short power downs often do not reset things correctly hence the advice in a lot of manuals to leave the power off for at least a minute when trying a power cycle.

I did meet someone who worked in a call center for set top boxes and he always recommended that people remove the power for 8 hours. When I asked him why so long, he said "well by that time I have finished my shift".

:smiley:

Grumpy_Mike:
I did meet someone who worked in a call center for set top boxes and he always recommended that people remove the power for 8 hours. When I asked him why so long, he said "well by that time I have finished my shift".

Actually, that would be good advice since most tv tuners have something (a large capacitor I presume) to backup the settings for several hours in case of power failure. I usually leave it unplugged overnight.

Grumpy_Mike:
I have found that the WS2812 chips with a 470uF capacitor do not reset correctly for a short interruption of power. It was a low current application with a battery powering 36 LEDs but at low brightness such that the total current was about 25mA. I solved this by reducing the capacitor to 47uF so maybe a smaller capacitor might solve this.

Thank you for the idea. I tried a 470uF capacitor as well as a 47uF, but unfortunately neither did the trick.

So, I took one of the WS2812B LEDs apart, and it turns out that it is a WS2813 chip and the manufacturer just didn't add the by pass wire to them. Would this possibly be what's causing the problem? Maybe the LEDs are expecting that signal to be there and when it isn't they go haywire?

Maybe the LEDs are expecting that signal to be there and when it isn’t they go haywire?

No, it dosn’t matter what this signal is on the first LED.

Grumpy_Mike:
No, it dosn’t matter what this signal is on the first LED.

None of them have the signal though. Would that make a difference?

None of them have the signal though. Would that make a difference?

No, you just don't get the advantage if an LED in the chain fails then things further down the chain will also fail.

Grumpy_Mike:
No, you just don't get the advantage if an LED in the chain fails then things further down the chain will also fail.

Okay, thank you for the help.