Using Camera Component from USB Webcam

I have an old webcam (this model = http://www.logitech.com/en-us/support/4266?crid=405&osid=14&bit=64) that functions well, but I no longer use it. I would like to build a wireless camera based off of ladyada’s guide (found here = Internet of Things Camera -). My camera seems to have the same pinouts on the board. It does have 2 extra, but I believe those are for the audio portion of the webcam component.

Can I do this? I simply want to use the camera I already own to take pictures according to the guide, not videos.

I have read different topics on this forum about topics similar to this, but they are slightly different (or not specific). From my research, it seems that Arduino has trouble with receiving USB data. However, serial data is fine. This does not make sense to me as USB is still serial (just universal too).

Yes, I know I can buy another webcam. I also have random computer components lying around. To me, it is better to use what I have before I buy anything more. :slight_smile:

Thank you for your time,

Jon

Can I do this?

No.

However, serial data is fine. This does not make sense to me as USB is still serial (just universal too).

No it is not. It is very very different.

Thank you for your reply, Grumpy_Mike.

Could I ask on what basis this will not work? I would like to know why.

If the serial to USB translation is the issue, could I just use a USB shield?

To my understanding (taken from the Arduino playground), shields are used for hardware interface. Software interface is a whole different matter. There is an article here that discusses how to interface digital cameras to Arduino on both hardware and software levels. http://www.circuitsathome.com/camera-control/digital-camera-control-using-arduino-usb-host-shield-part-1-basics

If the issue still lies in the fact that Arduino cannot interface with USB, is there another microboard that does? This seems to be a major issue if I am correct.

Again, thank you for your help. XD

Jon

There is an article here that discusses how to interface digital cameras to Arduino on both hardware and software levels.

That tells you how to control a camera from the Arduino, that is to electronically press the shutter and such. It is nothing to do with the picture.

If the serial to USB translation is the issue, could I just use a USB shield?

No. There is not enough memory nor processing power in the Arduino to handle video or stills from a web cam.

This seems to be a major issue if I am correct.

Why? The arduino is an 8 bit micro controller, how many 1980's computers do you know that had web cams on them. I will tell you zero.

s there another microboard that does?

You can use a Lunx based board like the Arduino Yun or the Raspberry Pi.

I've been curious if the old connectix parallel port quickcams could be interfaced with a microcontroller.

Okay, I misunderstood the applications for an Arduino. I looked around for a little bit and found guides about the Arduino Yun; and it looks to be able to do what I would like. Thank you for your help. :D

Jon

Grumpy_Mike: The arduino is an 8 bit micro controller, how many 1980's computers do you know that had web cams on them. I will tell you zero.

Actually - barring the "web" part of things, I had a digitizer cartridge (DS-69A) for my TRS-80 Color Computer 2 - took forever to capture an image, but it did work...

cr0sh:

Grumpy_Mike:
The arduino is an 8 bit micro controller, how many 1980’s computers do you know that had web cams on them. I will tell you zero.

Actually - barring the “web” part of things, I had a digitizer cartridge (DS-69A) for my TRS-80 Color Computer 2 - took forever to capture an image, but it did work…

Yep. But still if i’m not mistaken, the general Arduino has 2K of memory, whereas the TRS80 has 4K worst case XD

// Per.

cr0sh:

Grumpy_Mike: The arduino is an 8 bit micro controller, how many 1980's computers do you know that had web cams on them. I will tell you zero.

Actually - barring the "web" part of things, I had a digitizer cartridge (DS-69A) for my TRS-80 Color Computer 2 - took forever to capture an image, but it did work...

Yes I had a real time frame grabber In 1982 but I had to design and make it myself, it had it's own memory and it's own electronics and no processor in it. Then throught the 80's and 90's I designed various video digitisers and published them. However it wasn't untill much faster processors came along that you could do anything approaching real time with the processor involved. All these used composite TV signals which are rare nowerdays.

However this does not affect my original answer.

To the OP, good luck on finding a driver in Linux land.