Using Cayenne for remote projects

Hello everyone,

I have a project already up and running. Now I want to take it to the next level. I want to make it accessible remotely.

My project is in a different house and I am 200 km apart from the same. I would like to access arduino (turn on or off pins) or receive information, in this case information from sensors, , in my cellphone.

I have heard about Cayenne APP, it seems a very friendly application, but I confess that I didn’t dive into much detail seince I don’t have yet a WIFI shield. But I really don’t understand how it works…

This may be a stupid question but still I will go for it:

• The place where my project is , has a very low internet connection, lets say no connection at all… is there a way to overpass this?

For example use an arduino where the wifi signal is good and send the command from where I am which is in other place 200 km apart to the arduino with good wifi signal, and then send the command to the other wifi via bluetooth? How can I overpass this issue?

Other question:

The project is working in a loop all the time and works according the information received by the senosrs. How can I introduce in the code, a command like: Every time I press a button (or turn on a digital pin XXX) arduino pauses the loop, makes what I want and then continues the loop where it was paused… Is this possible?

Best Regards,

Daniel

rucabelda:

• The place where my project is , has a very low internet connection, lets say no connection at all.. is there a way to overpass this?

Of course. Just dig a trench for a cable between that point and your nearest ISP access point and you have Internet connection.

For example use an arduino where the wifi signal is good and send the command from where I am which is in other place 200 km apart to the arduino with good wifi signal, and then send the command to the other wifi via bluetooth? How can I overpass this issue?

Bluetooth and WiFi are not compatible. WiFi has a better range than Bluetooth. No idea what you're even trying to do here.

The project is working in a loop all the time and works according the information received by the senosrs. How can I introduce in the code, a command like: Every time I press a button (or turn on a digital pin XXX) arduino pauses the loop, makes what I want and then continues the loop where it was paused.. Is this possible?

Sure, can do.

Hello,

I know that I can use an Ethernet Shield and connect a ethernet cable, but it is really far.. like 500 m far from the router... It is not feasible. :confused:

The project is working in a loop all the time and works according the information received by the sensors. How can I introduce in the code, a command like: Every time I press a button (or turn on a digital pin XXX) arduino pauses the loop, makes what I want and then continues the loop where it was paused.. Is this possible?

Sure, can do.

How? let me explain the code I have at this moment.

From 5h to 5h, Arduino turns on 4 sensors and reads the information, then according that info there is a solenoid valve that turns on if the values of the sensors are below a threshold value. This is running continuosly. I would like to have an external button (or in the future, a remote button in Cayenne App) that would turn on the solenoid valve all the times I press the button.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Just read the state of the button (digitalRead() typically) and react to that in your loop(). To block it from doing anything else something like:

while (digitalRead(buttonPin) == LOW) {
  ditigalWrite(solenoidPin, HIGH);
}
digitalWrite(solenoidPin, LOW);

This assuming button is wired active LOW, and the solenoid active HIGH.

Replace that later by something that reads your Cayenne.

You'll have to come up with a better solution for your 500 meter gap. Both Bluetooth and WiFi can't do this. Considering the distance you may need something with fixed directional antennas.

I my project oriented. I need to break things down into their parts.
#1) connectoin
#2) monitoring I/O pins and connected sensors
#3) remote reading of values
#3a) remote sending of data or commands.

At this point, I have no idea of #1)

• The place where my project is , has a very low internet connection

well, it either HAS an internet connection or it does NOT.
this is binary.

if it has a phone-dial-up, then it HAS internet connection.
whether you WANT to use it or not, is up to you.

to connect to things up to 100 meters, you have a lot of options.
over 100 meters, you have very few. use a cell phone for wireless, or use a wired internet connection.
there is lora that can go about 1km so your 100km is only for the first two option.

if you have a farm, and out over the next hill and past the next valley, you have a solar powered pump and want to make sure it is working.......
you can install a sensor with some sort of wireless.
then, at a location where there is power and a still a useable signal, put in a repeater. then, at some next distance, put in a second repeater.

if you have very slow internet, then you are in good shape. the amount of information needed to send or receive is tiny and would not even register on the monthly use.

and, there are cell-phone shields that would allow you to put in a cellular connection.

the