Using CNC Shield w/o GRBL

Hi all!

I've been having a blast reading up on Arduino topics and resources. I can't seem to have any success in finding any resources on using an Arduino with a CNC shield that don't involve using GRBL. If any of you know any, please feel free to assist me by directing me in the correct location.

For context, I'm interested in using a CNC shield because it appears to simplify the process of connecting 3 stepper motors, motor drivers, limit switches and an LCD. My end goal is to program a 3-axis camera slider. Most resources rely on using GRBL and G-code which isn't really what I'm looking for. I'd like to do all the programming manually.

It's quite possible my searches are using the wrong keywords, but perhaps someone here could help point me in the correct direction?

You can easily drive your stepper motors without using GRBL. For testing have a look at this Simple Stepper Code. Start with one motor at a time. You will need to adapt the program to the appropriate pins that are used by the shield for each stepper driver. You may also need to set the enable pin (I can never remember if it needs to the HIGH or LOW) to allow the motors to work. Make sure to start testing with very slow step rates.

Also look up the AccelStepper library.

Having said all that, if you are actually making a CNC machine I would strongly recommend using GRBL

...R
Stepper Motor Basics

Enable pin [pin 8] must be LOW to enable steppers.

Here is how the Uno pins relate to the CNC shield.
cnc shield Uno pins.jpg

cnc shield Uno pins.jpg

Robin2:
Having said all that, if you are actually making a CNC machine I would strongly recommend using GRBL

...R
Stepper Motor Basics

Thanks for the suggestions, Robin. I have a pretty basic understanding of how to set up the project with everything separately and wanted to take advantage of the fact that the board has a lot of it pre-wired.

I would love to use and learn GRBL but the issue is that it seems to rely only on G-code. Since I am building a camera slider, I don't know if G-code would be the best way.

PS: I've read several of your posts and responses in previous threads during my last week of research. You've contributed a lot and I wanted to say thank you.

groundFungus:
Enable pin [pin 8] must be LOW to enable steppers.

Here is how the Uno pins relate to the CNC shield.
cnc shield Uno pins.jpg

Thanks for this, it seems to have put me on a clearer path. I'll have to read up on it. I still have millions of questions but this at least provides some kind of direction.

So many "camera sliders" out there based on almost anything that moves inc. the shield so you should be able to pick up a lot of the work pre-done so to speak.

"arduino camera slider"

acondax:
Since I am building a camera slider, I don't know if G-code would be the best way.

It all depends on what sort of movement instructions you want to give. For example if you want to run a series of pre-packaged moves then GCode may be very suitable. But if you just want to make things move when you press a button then probably not.

For "on the fly" GCode you will almost certainly need a laptop connected to the Arduino. If that's not a problem then there are many PC programs that can act as a front-end for GRBL.

I have a cheap 3D printer and I use a PC program called Pronterface that allows me to move the print head anywhere I want by clicking on-screen buttons. And it can also send pre-packaged GCode to the printer to make an object. There is a little LCD screen and some push-buttons on the printer but I hardly ever use them. My printer does not use GRBL but I believe you can have the same facilities with GRBL.

...R