Using Com ports to send data

Here's where I am stuck.....

I have a Ciseco SRF Stick that I want to communicate with a Ciseco SRF Shield mounted to an Arduino UNO. The Stick is plugged into my laptop and is recognized as COM3. Now how do I write to the Com port? I've done an internet search on using the USB but no one simply tells me how to write to the port. Nor could I find anything in a Javascript/Jquery programming book.

Any help would be appreciated.

Farmboy

Now how do I write to the Com port?

Using what programming language? VisualBasic and C# have a SerialPort class that makes writing to the serial port trivial. VisualC++ has a serial port class that is a pain in the ass to use.

Thanks PaulS. I guess I haven't gotten that far. I was hoping to use JavaScript/Jquery, but perhaps VisualBasic would be a better choice for what I want to do.

However, I was hoping there was a way using a browser to poke data into the Com Port. No? I just need to send simple commands of a few characters/bytes.

Farmboy

However, I was hoping there was a way using a browser to poke data into the Com Port. No?

A browser makes GET requests of a server. How could it “poke data into the Com port”? Which COM port would it be poking data into? One on the server?

Sorry, I'm an old "bit banger" from the 70's and 80's that isn't yet up on how to use servers, etc. I'm used to writing data to a micro port using assembly language, and I've learned a bit of C++ using my Arduino.

The SRF Stick is plugged into a USB port on my laptop and is addressed as COM3. That's about as far as I understand so far.

Previously I was using an Arduino YUN and sending commands via WiFi to it using a URL. I am presuming there is a similar method for using this COM3 port. But maybe not.

What do you recommend for procuring VisualBasic? I saw a Softonic version that I could download but I'm leery of downloads due to virus's etc. I was on Microsofts website and that send me to Visual Studio that seemed like a lot more than just VB.

Thanks for the help.

Farmboy

Get a terminal program like PuTTY. That will let you communicate with the COM port, just like the old days.

Now how do I write to the Com port?

If you want to type in commands, then try using the arduino IDE serial monitor.