Using current on power supply

Hi guys I have question. If I have Power supply with output 12V and 2A. Then I want to connect it with motor that operate at 12V and drawing 500mA. So is that means that I only can use 4 motors since each of the motor is drawing 500mA? Are there any way to increase the current to 3A,I need to use 6 motors for my project.

Thanks,
Taksan

I recommend that you get a 4a power supply if you can. If you cant then connect one of the motors up to the 12v supply and put it under the full load that it will experience in your project. If it doesn't exceed 300~ mA you should be safe to use all 6 as that 500 mA rating is the maximum it can ever draw.

Taksan: If I have Power supply with output 12V and 2A.

Are there any way to increase the current to 3A,I need to use 6 motors for my project.

Possibly if you re-designed the power supply and up-rated all the components to cope with the extra load.

Far easier and cheaper to get another power supply that is designed to cope with your maximum load.

Get better power supply :wink: Or use two.

Or guarantee that not more than N motors will be on at the same time; e.g. by connecting one motor to the NO contact of a relay and the other motor to the NC contact of the same relay.

remember that motors use a great deal more than their nominal current on starting.

So...

don't start more than one motor at once.

or

get a much bigger power supply.

Allan

OK... We know you should be using an 8 or 10A power supply to leave some "safety margin', but let's say you're willing to take a risk...

If the motors are not running a heavy load they won't draw their maximum rated current (except during start-up) and it would be a good idea to measure the current so you know where you stand...

What's the worst that can happen and what are the consequences? How are you going to feel if you burn-out your power supply? Are you going to flunk a class, or get fired, or have an angry customer? Are you going to be slightly bummed-out while you wait for the new power supply to arrive or is it going to ruin your whole day?

Actually, the worst thing that could happen is the power supply could catch on fire! That's not supposed to happen if it meets all of the normal regulatory requirements. It should shut-down safely (permanently or temporarily) when overloaded. But, it would be a good idea to keep an eye on it and maybe have a fire extinguisher handy. ;)