Using digital 0 for output

I'm looking to output 8 bit values in parallel so using all of port B would be very convenient but the articles I found on port manipulation warned of using pin 0 for output as it would knock out serial capability. Does that just mean I won't be able to use serial while in the program or that if I set pin 0 to output the chip will no longer upload new sketches properly through the USB cable as well?

Possibly a simpler way to phrase it would be do the pins remember their input/output modes after a reset?

You could use port B (pins 8…13) iso port D(pins 0…7)

Possibly a simpler way to phrase it would be do the pins remember their input/output modes after a reset?

You need to store it in EEPROM and recall them during setup()

No, a reset forces all pins to input mode, so as long as you don't require serial communications while your code is running, you're free to use pin 0 in your sketch as a output pin. When doing a upload the IDE first causes a board reset through the auto-reset feature and then the bootloader is activated which programs pins 0 and 1 as required for serial communications to run your program.

The only caution you may have to deal with is the electrical load requirements of what ever you have wired to pin 0 as the FTDI pin driving pin 0 on the processor chip does not have the same current drive capabilities that the processor chip does as there is a 1k resistor wired between the ftdi chip and the processor pin 0. Worst case you may have to disconnect whatever you have wired to pin 0 before you do a new upload.

Lefty