Using ESP8266 only

I have searched some projects that uses ESP8266 only to send email, etc, and every time I did it, my WiFi module would heat up quite quickly. So I searched up further, and some said that it was never recommended to use the module on its own. It got rather confusing so I decided to make a post.

I have two questions:

1. I have wired the module like this and it would heat up quickly with a red LED. Is this guide correct? If not, how should I wire it?
  2. Is it alright to use the module on its own?

HerO_0110:
some said that it was never recommended to use the module on its own.

Who said that?

Of course you can use it "on its own", power-wise, there shouldn't be a difference between using it stand-alone or as an AT slave connected to an Arduino.

It's normal for the module to get warm when using the WiFi radio, but it shouldn't get too hot to touch.

This Beginner's Guide to the ESP8266 should contain everything you need to know.

Pieter

HerO_0110:

1. I have wired the module like this and it would heat up quickly with a red LED. Is this guide correct? If not, how should I wire it?

No LED is shown at that link. Try again.

PieterP:
Who said that?

Of course you can use it "on its own", power-wise, there shouldn't be a difference between using it stand-alone or as an AT slave connected to an Arduino.

It's normal for the module to get warm when using the WiFi radio, but it shouldn't get too hot to touch.

This Beginner's Guide to the ESP8266 should contain everything you need to know.

Pieter

Ah right. Thanks.

pert:
No LED is shown at that link. Try again.

I couldn't think of a better word for this. It's not a LED, is it?

I have two slightly different esp8266-01 modules which i bought from ebay, one has a 8 legged chip that is bigger than the main esp chip and the other has a smaller 8 legged chip about half the size of the other module. The esp with the larger chip gets very hot and the other does not hot at all, so i bought a few more of those and sure enough they run nice and cool too. So in conclusion your esp module is using a cheap component and will get very hot, but will still work as intended albeit a short life maybe.

The hot esp chip, note my one was black not blue but the same pcb components.

KawasakiZx10r:
I have two slightly different esp8266-01 modules which i bought from ebay, one has a 8 legged chip that is bigger than the main esp chip and the other has a smaller 8 legged chip about half the size of the other module. The esp with the larger chip gets very hot and the other does not hot at all, so i bought a few more of those and sure enough they run nice and cool too. So in conclusion your esp module is using a cheap component and will get very hot, but will still work as intended albeit a short life maybe.

The hot esp chip, note my one was black not blue but the same pcb components.

Ah damn. Thanks for the explanation.