using HD44780U characters

I want to use a character which appears in the HD44780U character code list. My LCD is I2C and I'm using the LCD library. How do I tell the LCD to print character 00010101 ?

That’s a 21, if i did the right conversion.

So do this:

lcd.write(21);

Or this:

lcd.write(B00010101 );

That double arrow down should appear on your screen.
I’m not at home so can’t test that at the moment (i’m not sure i’ve got that symbol in my displays either).

Yes, its a double arrow. How do I get the character onto the display from within a sketch?

That's a 21, if i did the right conversion.

Why do the conversion? The very best you can possibly do is to get it right. Let the compiler do the conversion (as in your second example) since it always gets it right.

Don

Adrifran39: Yes, its a double arrow. How do I get the character onto the display from within a sketch?

With the lcd.write() statement as MAS3 indicated in reply #1.

Don

If I may ask a further question floresta, if that's not asking too much, what then is the difference between lcd.print() and lcd.write()?

Sometimes people forget they are dealing with beginners don't they?

Yes, you may ask more questions. This one is a new question, the other one was a question that has been answered already. You shouldn't feel an attacked beginner if people tell you to pay attention, but take the advice.

The print command lets you print the contents of a variable, or text. The text is as a matter of fact another variable, hence the need to put it in ' signs or " signs in case of an array. The write sends a command. If the command contains a printable character, then that character will appear on your screen. Else the command, in case it is executable will be executed, like new line or carriage return.

Sometimes people forget they are dealing with beginners don't they?

I'm sorry you were offended by my answer as it wasn't meant that way. Can you suggest how I should have phrased it?

I have been dealing mostly with beginners for the five years I have been contributing to this forum as well as for the 30+ years that I was teaching this stuff.

Don

No offence taken.

I think it is because you have been involved so very long in your discipline that you have forgotten how off-putting a terse response can be to an ignorant beginner.

And that such a response can discourage a sensitive little thing like me from daring to ask about what I found confusing.

Surely, after so long you must have come across confusion concerning lcd.write() and lcd.print() and an explanation would have been more polite.

Sorry - I'm not Carnak the Magnificant. I can't give any answers before I see the questions.

don

Carnak the Magnificant? Is he a subscriber too?

Thanks MAS3 for your response - I get it now!