Using HiLetgo TFTLCD shield with Adafruit libraries

Hello.

I purchased 2.4" LCD shield off Amazon, made by HiLetgo (says ILI9341 compatible). Instructions say I gotta use Adafruit TFTLCD libraries. I believe that means they did not release their own libraries and claim compatibility with Adafruit shield. Correct?

Now I run the tests, everything seems ok (display and touch input)

But I need to use some of the Digital Pins for other functionality within the same project. It is my understanding that defining USE_ADAFRUIT_SHIELD_PINOUT in the Adafruit_TFTLCD.h file will enable certain communications protocol between the Arduino and the Shield via the 4 SD_ pins, therefore releaseing D0...D13 for other purposes.

However, when I am defining USE_ADAFRUIT_SHIELD_PINOUT suddenly the example program will no longer display anything on the screen.

Am I misusing / misunderstanding or there is only limited compatibility between Adafruit and HiLetgo and I should buy Adafruit genuine Shield?

Any other way of using this HiLetgo screen shield in such a fashion that my D0..D13 pins are left available?

Shall I get capacitive or resistive display?

Thanks

@bavareze

Your topic was Moved to it's current location / section as it is more suitable.

Could you also take a few moments to Learn How To Use The Forum.

Other general help and troubleshooting advice can be found here.
It will help you get the best out of the forum in the future.

Please post a link to the actual screen that you have bought. e.g. Amazon Sale page.

good point

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0722DPHN6

Install MCUFRIEND_kbv via the IDE Library Manager.

Plug the Shield into your Arduino as Nature intended.
Run all the library examples.

David.