Using ISP without loosing bootloader

Is it possible to program Atmega chip with ISP in way that doesn't remove bootloader? I'm using USBTiny ISP and arduino ide, and every time I upload sketch it removes bootloader :frowning:

No. You have to erase the flash before programming via ISP, which deletes the bootloader as well.

Why have a bootloader at all if you are using ISP for programming?

The bootloader is only needed for serial uploading via USB or FTDI.

hiduino:
No. You have to erase the flash before programming via ISP, which deletes the bootloader as well.

Why have a bootloader at all if you are using ISP for programming?

The bootloader is only needed for serial uploading via USB or FTDI.

I see, thanks! I actually use both. Some boards don't have FTDI header soldered yet, so I use ISP. I guess I can just make FTDI jig with pogo pins... FTDI uploads also much faster than via ISP...

bratan:
I see, thanks! I actually use both. Some boards don't have FTDI header soldered yet, so I use ISP. I guess I can just make FTDI jig with pogo pins... FTDI uploads also much faster than via ISP...

Depends on the ISP you're using - when you're communicating with the ArduinoAsISP at 19200 baud, of course FTDI at 110-whatever kbaud (~5x faster), of course you'll be able or program. There are much faster ISPs, you're just not using one.

Now, if you're hand flashing them, you could combine the hex files - a script could probably do this quite easily, HEX is an easy format.

DrAzzy:
Now, if you're hand flashing them, you could combine the hex files - a script could probably do this quite easily, HEX is an easy format.

Hey that's a great idea actually! Thanks!