Using MAC quick look to view .ino files

Hello,

With finder I would like to preview .ino files with Quick look .

How to add .ino extension ?

Thanks and happy new year ! 8)

I don't know anything about Mac, but .ino files are just text files so if you can tell Finder or Quick Look or whatever that's what that extension means, it should handle it the same as a .txt file.

pert: I don't know anything about Mac, but .ino files are just text files so if you can tell Finder or Quick Look or whatever that's what that extension means, it should handle it the same as a .txt file.

I knew that it's txt files. On MAC you select the file, press space and you can get a preview ! Quick and easy!!! But unfortunately .ino are not supported.

ino files are not supported, you can check this : https://github.com/whomwah/qlstephen/issues/68 they used a program for txt files, you can modify this one so it will be in adequations with what you want to have.... regards

I did make a quicklook plugin from another viewer I found:

https://www.retrokits.com/QLIno.zip

Not sure if it still works on the latest OSX though but it worked great, with code highlighter as well

Thanks Retrokitsdev! The quicklook plugin worked great! I can see my Arduino code from the Finder without having to open any apps.

The link above is broken but there's a really handy list of Quick Look plugins for developers (on Mac OS X). I found the QLColorCode and QLStephen plugins did the trick for me. It not only shows Arduino .ino files, it also does others like .py, .c, and README files with no extension.

https://github.com/sindresorhus/quick-look-plugins

(I know this thread is old, but in case anyone else finds this via search I thought I'd update.)

Just to update this. I tried it in my Mac and it doesn’t work anymore. What I get is just an enlarged icon with barley readable false text file. I do not get the text editor opening up.

Do they open with textedit on mac?

Only if you drag the icon onto textedit on the icon bar.

Hmm I thought there was a 120 day post lock...?

Yes, I asked a moderator if I could open it up again for an update.

First, install the Quicklook plugin. This is easy with Homebrew:

brew cask install qlcolorcode

Then find the content types for .ino :

mdls -name kMDItemContentType /full/path/to/file.ino

Copy the file type into the LSItemContentTypes array in ~/Library/QuickLook/QLColorCode.qlgenerator/Contents/Info.plist

These will be something like dyn.ah62d4rv4ge80w5xt for .ino Finally, relaunch Finder . Now you should see previews of all your Arduino files.

You should be able to, in finder, set it to open with textedit and then select all files and it should work. I double click and go to i d e which is just how I work anyway.

Yes but that is not how the preview is supposed to work. You select a file and then press the space bar and the preview is displayed. That is what I want to happen with an .ino file. It works fine like that with a .py file and other formats.

@karkadi99 - sorry but I couldn't follow that

This is easy with Homebrew:

I used to have Homebrew installed years ago but it was just too big and nothing I tried with it worked, like installing inkscape.

Hi,

Thanks for all your inputs!

Hombrew and Colorcode is working fine for me.

QLStephen also but highlighting is not working on .ino files but ok for .c .h.cpp.

If you have any idea to enable it with .ino,

Thanks