using magnetometers to determine tiny magnets location

Hi,

I have two tiny magnets implanted in one hand, one facing north, one facing south. Now I want to try and setup a couple of magnetometers and then move my hand in between them, with the intention to try and make the distance between the magnetometers as big as possible.

Can that be done with my Arduino? What would be the best magnetometers for this?

Draw something for us. I can't understand how your devices and hand are laid out or what your goal is.

The magnetometers are very sensitive. If a normal mechanical compass works, also a magnetometer will work.
You might have to do some calculations, to reduce the earth magnetism effect.

liudr: Draw something for us. I can't understand how your devices and hand are laid out or what your goal is.

Say, if I mount 8 magnetometers in a cube, as in the image, could they detect the location of the magnets in my hand, accurately enough for me to use that to emulate say a mouse or a set of computer controls?

Looks doable. Like caldoa said, you need to consider earth effect, and other effects from current carrying wires. Get a 10 DOF board from ebay for $15 and do some tresting with just one sensor.

It will work in theory. Perhaps only in theory.

You have two magnets in your hand, instead of just one. I don't know if it can be calculated with two magnets. You would also need magnetometers that allow a lot of magnetic field without clipping. And if there is a computer next to it a distance of 2 meters, it might highly influence the magnetometers.

Doesn't that just mean that I have an oval flipped magnetic presence instead of a normal round one? so now the magnetometers can also see it when I am rotating my hand on any axis, unlike with a single magnet, you have a single axis you can't detect (I think).

Your project intrigues me. I'll do some testing if I have time. I got a magnetometer and cell phone. A while back I was riding on an electric light rail train. Every time the train accelerates or decelerates, my meter on the phone goes crazy.

Using the oval magnetic field for orientation ? I have my doubts. Would a magnetomer see a disturbance of the average of the magnets ? Do you have any idea how you can do the calculation to detect an oval field ? I can't. Wait, maybe I can. Use magnetometers in a 3D grid, like a led cube. Then you can measure the magnetic field (strength and direction) everywhere in the cube. So you need about 512 magnetometers. This is a led cube : http://www.instructables.com/id/Led-Cube-8x8x8/ But then you can't put your hand in the cube anymore. And there is no way to measure the magnetic field from a distance, you can not take a 'photo' of a magnetic field a meter away. Another possibility is to have a battery operated sensor on your hand that transmits it's orientation.

If you want to continue this magnetic field location project, you have to try it.