Using Micro to drive motor shield

I'd like to drive the Adafruit motor shield (V2.3) with an Arduino Micro and I haven't found much on how to make it happen other than one small part of an article (quoted below). The section seems somewhat straight forward but one part confuses me:

"In most cases the signals come from the arduino family, more precisely the Duemilanove, Diecimila, Uno (all revisions), Leonardo and Mega/ADK R3 and higher. As you might recognized, there is no arduino micro in the list, but as it is just a smaller version of the Leonardo it should be possible to work too – right? The answer is: yes it does – at least if you solder right and find the connections that need to be made since the SDA and SCL Pins are digital 2 and 3 on the Micro and A4 and A5 on the shield. Adding 5V, 3V and ground is enough to get it running. (But keep an eye to short circuits and separate powering circuits for the micro)"

If I understand right, they want to hook up the SDA and SCL pins to A4 and A5 on the shield respectively. I'm confused because the shield has markings for SCL and SDA on the top towards the left....same spot on the UNO. Is the article correct? Why wouldn't it just hook right to the SCL and SCA spots and not the A4 and A5 spots?

Here is the link to the whole article.

https://defendtheplanet.net/2014/06/01/arduino-micro-adafruit-motor-shield-v2/

Why wouldn't it just hook right to the SCL and SCA spots and not the A4 and A5 spots?

The UNO has separate SCL and SDA pins. The Duemilanove does not.

The pins aren't really separate. The are connected internally on the Arduino.

PaulS:
The UNO has separate SCL and SDA pins. The Duemilanove does not.

The pins aren’t really separate. The are connected internally on the Arduino.

The article claims that the micro is built off of the Leonardo…is the Leonardo and Duemilanove the same thing?