Using Microphones and Speakers

Hi everybody,
Some months ago I was stalking r/Arduino when I saw somebody make a mask with a moving mouth with a screen. After starting school I got tired of teachers asking me to repeat the thing I said because I can't be heard from my mask which is mandatory. Non-Arduino folk would say to just raise your voice. Arduino users would say to fill it with a crap ton of electronics. So let's get to the point: I want to put a speaker and a microphone in my mask and have them talk to each other (and if possible add an LCD display). Having never experimented with speakers and microphones I rely on the community to help me. I have 2 questions: nr.1 can the KY-037 Sound Detection Sensor Module pass sound info to the speaker or is it a sound loudness detector and nr.2 can the arduino handle an 8 ohm speaker? SOrry for the post being too long, it is my first time posting, but thanks to anybody that helps!

if you ever tried to use a spy cam you would learn that your voice sounds like MRFBLUBGRBL because your mouth is too close to the mic, and the person you are talking to sounds like fghffjjj because they are too far from the mic.

finding a mic that won't overload would be a challenge

why do you need an Arduino? just go from mic to amp with nothing in between

Geek is right. The Arduino isn't needed (except for an LCD display) and the Arduino isn't great for audio because it's slow, has limited memory, it doesn't have a built-in DAC, and the ADC is only 10-bits (10-bits isn't a big problem for speech).

Even with the Arduino and a DAC, you'd need a preamp for the microphone (sometimes built into a "sound module) and a power amplifier to drive the speaker, and there is no reason to add an Arduino in-between.

Another problem is feedback when the speaker is too close to the microphone... You know that squeal you sometimes hear from a PA system? That's caused by the feedback from the speaker back-into the microphone getting re-amplified infinitely in a loop.

...Singers use in-ear monitors with the audience-speakers out in front to prevent feedback. Before in-ears in the 1970s they used wedge monitors on the floor pointed toward the back of a directional microphone (also with separate audience speakers). Before that, feedback was a constant problem and singers often couldn't hear themselves over drums & amplified instruments.

OK, thanks for the help! :slight_smile:

A friend of mine made this:-
Face mask