Using misc. parts from printer with Arduino

I had an old Canon printer that I took apart, to see what parts I could possibly use with my Arduino Uno (or any Arduino if the Uno isn’t exactly what would work). However, I’m pretty brand new to this whole endeavor and was wondering how I would use them with the Arduino/breadboard.

I have attached some pictures, mainly of the LCD screen and buttons that the printer uses. The part connecting them to the printer is a thin “paper”. How can I start connecting these for using them with my Arduino? Is this even feasible without going “overboard” on re-writing/soldering?

What would I want to start learning to do, in order to use such parts with a breadboard/Arduino?

Thanks for any advice or info!

photo 1.JPG

That LCD might be tricky to use anyway, it depends on what it actually is. If it's a well known item, or conforms to some de facto standard, it may may be usable via a library; if not, it may be very difficult to decode.

I'd look for motors, probably steppers, and if they are, follow the wires back to the driver chips. Most printers have loads of opto isolators too, for checking where the paper is. Also magnetic switches on the panels to see if they're closed.

The buttons may be useful.

To use the ribbon cables you would need with great care to de-solder the connectors that correspond to them.

The opto-interrupters that you demonstrate are perfectly and easily usable - you have to identify (with a multimeter on "diode test") which is and the polarity of the LED.

Judging by your picture, the LCD is dead. Unless it is attached to its driver chip, is is useless anyway.

Stepper motors - preferably together with their gears and belts - are quite useful but unfortunately it is generally difficult to isolate their drivers on the PCB. It may be possible to cut out the driver ICs on the PCB together with their connections to the corresponding cables. There are a number of uses to which the actual carriage mechanism on its rails can be put.