Using more than one software with arduino

Hi all!
I'm almost new in the arduino world...
I've been able to use my "UNO" with processing or with max/MSP...
My question is: is it possible to use both at the same time?
For example: I want to communicate sensor data to processing, then pass the processed data to max (to drive some sounds) and then pass some sound-based data back to arduino to control LED or other stuff.
I hope I well explained the situation.
Is it possible?
Thanks

Basically no because the serial port can't be used by two things at the same time at the PC end.

However if you have a program on the PC to take messages from the arduino and push them out to both processing and max then it would be possible. The ArduinoSerial application is used by monomes to convert the serial data from an arduino based monome into OSC. It can then be directed anywhere an OSC command could.
The other way is to have processing receive the message and send it to max by OSC or internal MIDI bus.

Another option is to write a pseudo driver that read the serial from arduino, open a socket and mirror the serial data into it.
You can do it with few lines of python if you are not familiar with low level coding but with C you have more control.

I want to communicate sensor data to processing, then pass the processed data to max (to drive some sounds) and then pass some sound-based data back to arduino to control LED or other stuff.

Do it exactly like that? Probably difficult.

Repeat...
Sensor readings from Arduino to PC
Act on those readings in PC
Send messages back from PC to Arduino, for LED control or anything else
... until forever

... no big deal... well... as long as you know how to program the PC.

Starting point...

A project to read a potentiometer on the Arduino and then send back a number from 0-16 from the PC to the Arduino, which will then display it in binary on four LEDs

Yes... this could (far more easily!) be done with JUST an Arduino... you may want to start with that... but writing the above will get you started toward where you want to be.

If you have enough "stuff" probably best to have TWO PCs connected to Arduino... one for programming it, and one for doing what is sketched above, using a separate serial channel on the Arduino, created with NewSoftSerial, unless you have a Mega with its multiple serial channels.

More at....

@tkbyd - I think you missed the point that there are two programs on the PC, one is Processing (the language) and the other is the language Max msp, the OP wants to communicate with both of them using one arduino.

Sorry Mike- thanks for pointing out how what I said can be read.

I'll try again to say what I was trying to say...

I agree- I don't see a way to do EXACTLY what the OP wanted to do, "listen" and talk" to the Arduino with two separate programs running in the PC.

But I think that what users would see, IF there were a way to make the above work, CAN be accomplished if someone steps back and says, "Well, I can't do it THAT way... but it can be done, simply by using different software in the PC".

Hi, i just discovered a way to send serial to multiple software, if you use bluetooth connection to send serial to your computer you can assign multiple serial port to a single device, well, at least on mac osx.