Using phone battery to power a plane.

Hello, I’m trying to mount my arduino on a Falcon RC plane to fly it using my cellphone (via bluetooth), the problem is that I haven’t got its original battery so I’m trying to find any light-weight one to use it.
I’ve tested it with a MC Power lab 3003 and it works at its maximum speed with 5.0V and 3.11A.

The plane has only 2 dc motors, no flaps, no slats. To turn it speeds one of them depending on the side to go to.

My actual question is if I can use a Nokia Lumia 605 battery to power the motors. I have tested it half-charged with just one of the motors, but it worked well (the 4 seconds I tested it).
Will it burn, explode, heat up or is it suitable?

Its characteristics are:
Nokia BL-5H
1839mAh
3.7V
6.8Wh
Li-ion

And another question, could I use my arduino motor shield (designed for 2dc motors, 2 servos and 1 stepper) to handle plane’s motors?

Thanks in advance.

You really need to ask that question on a model airplane Forum.

It is usual for model airplanes to draw a huge current from the batteries to keep down the battery weight. If you look at, for example, the Hobby King website you will see that all the LiPo batteries have a C rating - such as 15C or 20C. That means they can safely deliver a current equal to 15 (or 20) times the amp-hr number. For example a 1000mAh battery with a 15C rating could deliver 15 amps (for less than 4 minutes).

I would be surprised if phone batteries are intended for that sort of abuse.

Also you MUST power your onboard Arduino with a separate battery so that the Arduino will continue to work even if the motor batteries are depleted.

...R

svaazz:
My actual question is if I can use a Nokia Lumia 605 battery to power the motors. I have tested it half-charged with just one of the motors, but it worked well (the 4 seconds I tested it).
Will it burn, explode, heat up or is it suitable?

You need to try and find a datasheet for the battery - if you can find the max discharge rate that'll
answer the question - make sure its ventilated and airflow will keep it cool I reckon. Otherwise you
are conducting an interesting experiment and anything could happen - only fly well away from
anything flammable...

If the battery is plastic enclosed i suspect it will rapidly overheat, even if it can discharge at that rate.

Take a look at hobby king and see if you can find a suitable battery.

That model originally used a 7.2 V NIMH battery so you will need a 2s pack (2 cells).

I think mobile phones are 1S .

Cellphone batteries are limited to 0.5-1C discharge. Any more will trip the internal protection circuitry or lead to fire if you are unlucky. They are NOT suitable for R/C-use.

Get a LiPo rated for R/C-use and be done with it.

// Per.