using PING))) with MAX/msp via arduino?

hi,
i have a few PING ultrasound sensors i need to hook up to the arduino, but i’d like to use max/msp instead of the way the tutorial shows. is this possible? i am thinking of sending the pulse on one digital pin, and receiving on another. would that work? also, i did not see in the simple max2arduino any send functions for the digital pins.
any help is awesome! thanks.
pierce

hi

there are three firmware packages for connecting to MAX posted in the Playground interfacing section: Simple Message System, Arduino2Max and Firmata.

Each is a set of code: code for Arduino and code for Max. You first program the Arduino with the firmware, and then run the max patch. Voila: the Arduino pins are accessible from MAX.

Once you get one of those packages going, you can then stat working on integrating the Ping code into the Arduino-side code.

D

hey, thanks for the reply. i'm really not much of a programmer, is there a way to use the code in the ultrasound sensor tutorial to program the arduino, then send and receive the ping pulses from max? or just send the distance detected by the ultrasound to max? do you know someone who has maybe already done this kind of thing that would be willing to share their patch? the simple message system looks like what i need to use, but its hard for me to understand. thanks for you help!

hi

The basic premise of Arduino is that you learn as you design. Try getting the simple message system to send data back and forth, and once that is working, figure out how the Ping code works and integrate it into the SM code.

If you don't want to write code or go through that learnign process, you could use another platform like the Icube, but it's a lot more expensive!

D

veto on the icube...! i will take a stab at the simple mess syst. im not quite sure i know what you mean by the ping code. are you referring to the code used to program the arduino in the tutorial on ping? or just the basic messages ping needs to send/receive in order to work? thanks again, much appreciated. pierce