Using plenty of pots

First. Please be tolerant to my English, it isn't my mother tonge (Hebrew)

Second. I'm pretty new to Arduino and hope to study as much as possible :slight_smile:

So now, I'm in the process of building my own synthesizer and I'm stuck with the hardware part.
I'm afraid I won't have enough analog and digital inputs and Arduino Mega isn't an option since I must use the Teensy 3.1

I know 21 analog inputs are a lot of inputs, but not enough.
I though about using a multiplexer but the problem is I don't want to push a button to select which pot to use or what parameter to edit, I want the MC to read each pot automatically.

How can I do so? Thanks a lot and thank you for your halping :slight_smile:

Hi,

Read this page on the 4051 multiplexer chip which can multiply your available analog inputs by 8.

Paul

PaulRB:
Hi,

Read this page on the 4051 multiplexer chip which can multiply your available analog inputs by 8.

Paul

Would it read them automatically?

Would it read them automatically?

If you mean under control of your code in a sketch, Yes.

LarryD:
If you mean under control of your code in a sketch, Yes.

Can you please post an example code to do so ? :slight_smile: as part of a project, because Im pretty lost in the programming stage...

Ulicc12:
Can you please post an example code to do so ? :slight_smile: as part of a project, because Im pretty lost in the programming stage...

There was some example code on the link I gave you before. That code reads 8 pots which are connected to a single Arduino input. Ask if you need help understanding that.

Whenever someone asks this question (and they frequently do), I always have to ask why they want to use potentiometers with a system which is digital. Given that virtually all "high end" equipment has moved on from potentiometers, to avoid noise and reliability problems, implement remote control and "presets" or "macros".

Unless you have an old car, the radio now has only one knob (not a potentiometer but a rotary encoder) which can control volume, bass, treble, rear volume and just as likely, tuning, using function selector buttons.

Even patch panels and mixers are more effectively implemented using (touch) screens and perhaps enough rotary encoders to fit two hands.

Paul__B:
Whenever someone asks this question (and they frequently do), I always have to ask why they want to use potentiometers with a system which is digital. Given that virtually all "high end" equipment has moved on from potentiometers, to avoid noise and reliability problems, implement remote control and "presets" or "macros".

Unless you have an old car, the radio now has only one knob (not a potentiometer but a rotary encoder) which can control volume, bass, treble, rear volume and just as likely, tuning, using function selector buttons.

Even patch panels and mixers are more effectively implemented using (touch) screens and perhaps enough rotary encoders to fit two hands.

Paul__B:

As I said before, Im working on a synthesiser, and I don't want to use encoders for controlling it, I want to use slide potentiometers..
also, I already own a synthesiser- the MiniNova - but editing it using only 5 pots and 1 encoder is a nightmare!
I want the feel of the knobs under my hands..

Ulicc12:

This project of mine uses two multiplexers to read in 16 analogue channels on a Uno. You can extend the same principal to any number of channels. There is code examples as well to read:-
http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Hardware/MIDI_Footsteps.html

Ulicc12:
I want the feel of the knobs under my hands.

Point noted. :grinning: