Using pointers with arrays [Resolved]

Ever since I learned C pointers have confused me. Here is a simplified version of a much more complex sketch to illustrate what I want to do. This works:

#include<stdio.h>
char testdata[18] = {"LOG,123,12.34567\0"};

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);
  delay(500);
  float toprint = testfunc(testdata);
  Serial.print(toprint, 5);
}

float testfunc(char *point) {
  float data = (point[8] & 0x0f) * 10 + (point[9] & 0x0f) + (point[11] & 0x0f) * 0.1 + (point[12] & 0x0f) * 0.01 + (point[13] & 0x0f) * 0.001 + (point[14] & 0x0f) * 0.0001 + (point[15] & 0x0f) * 0.00001;
  return data;
}

void loop() {
  //Nothing needed for demonstration purposes.
}

In my real program, testdata is actually a char array containing data received over Wi_Fi, from which I want to extract an unsigned int and a float. In the example the float is 12.34567.

If I compile the above for either an ESP8266 or a Mega 2560 it compiles and correctly prints 12.34567 to the serial monitor (although with the ESP8266 it also prints a few junk characters before the 12.34567, I am not to concerned about this as it is not core to my problem).

If I instead use, for example:

#include<stdio.h>
char testdata[18] = {"LOG,123,12.34567\0"};

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);
  delay(500);
  float toprint = testfunc(testdata);
  Serial.print(toprint, 5);
}

float testfunc(char *point) {
  float data = atof(point[8]);
  return data;
}

void loop() {
  //Nothing needed for demonstration purposes.
}

Then for an ESP8266 I get:

invalid conversion from 'char' to 'const char*' [-fpermissive]

If I compile for a Mega 2560 it compiles without error but prints 0.00000

I said ‘for example’ because I have tried many variations on using a pointer to tell atof where to get its data, none of them work. I’m hoping you won’t ask me what variations I’ve tried, there are too many! Everything I could think of. I am hoping that someone here who understands pointer use can tell me the one thing I didn’t try which will work.

I thank you :slight_smile:

float data = atof(&point[8]);
  return data;
float data = atof(point[8]);

point[8] is the single character in the 9th position of the array. atop wants a pointer. There are two ways. You can use pointer math or you can use the address-of operator &

float data = atof(point +8);

Or

And note you can probably just write:char testdata[] = "LOG,123,12.34567";
The ‘\0’ is added by the cString for you and the size of the array provided by the compiler.

You don’t need the curly {} brackets as you are using a cString. You would if you had provided the various elements of the array one by one:char testdata[18] = {‘L’, ‘O’, ‘G’, ‘,’,...};

AWOL, Delta_G,
Thank you both.

Works in the example but not in my original code. However, now I have something to aim for, now I know that is the correct way to do it I can look elsewhere for the problem, knowing that bit is OK.

J-M-L,
Thanks for the extra info, much appreciated.

That's all for now, I have a beer waiting for me :slight_smile:

Update, partly so those of you that helped know what happened and partly so anyone else reading this with similar problems can learn from my mistakes.

I was making 2 mistakes at the same time.
First, the thing I asked about; pointers. I find pointers confusing. I still find them confusing, but maybe a little less so (why does this code need an &, but in other situations it works without a &, such as in my first example). So, I tried many variations of:

atof(&point[8]);

Unfortunately, none of them worked, including the correct one, because of another thing I was doing wrong:

I have always thought that char and uint8_t were interchangeable. Well, they are much of the time. Only much of the time. Although I used char in the sample code I used uint8_t in the original code. I now know one situation where they are not interchangeable. If you want to store characters, not numbers, use char, even if int8_t or uint8_t seem to work OK.

(Oh, and the beer was very nice thank you :slight_smile: )

PerryBebbington:
If you want to store characters, not numbers

It's not about what you want to store, it's about what type the function you're calling is expecting to see.

Perry,

I suspect your confusion is, in part, due to the somewhat inconsistent way c/c++ addresses data. For all simple, integral data types (char, int, long, bool, etc.), the variable name, when used by itself, evaluates to the VALUE of the data:

int x = 10; // x has the value 10

Serial.print(x); // x has the value 10, so this prints "10"
Serial.print(&x); // &x is the memory ADDRESS of x, Serial.print receives a pointer to x

But for some complex types, arrays in particular, the variable name evaluates to a POINTER to the data, which is the memory ADDRESS of the first element of the array.

char x[10] = "abcd"; // x is a 5-element array of char
Serial.print(x); // x here evaluates to the ADDRESS of x[0]. i.e. - Serial.print receives a pointer
Serial.print(&x[0]); // This is exactly equivalent to the previous line, as it explicitly gets the address of x[0]

All c++ object names evaluate to pointers, just like for arrays.

Then there's the confusion of references, which also use the "&" symbol, but for a slightly different purpose...

So, in deciding whether or not you need an & (AddressOf operator), look at the type of the data. If it's a simple type, and you want the value, no ampersand. Otherwise, add the ampersand to get a pointer to the data instead. For complex types, you most often only need the & if you want to get a pointer to one element of an array, in which case you need to also specific WHICH element, by providing [n] indexing.

Regards,
Ray L.

RayLivingston:

You were doing well, but went off the beam with that one. First, the name of an object that's an instance of a class can be defined to evaluate to just about anything using operator overloading, for example:

operator uint32_t() const { return internalVariable; }

Even if that's not the case, calling a function with an object name as an argument (without specifying it as a pointer or reference in the function's defintion) will use Call by Value. Meaning a copy of the object will be placed on the stack before the function is called. If the class has a defined Copy Constructor, it will be used for this. Otherwise the default copy constructor will be used, perhaps with unexpected results.

RayLivingston:

no. gfvalvo explains it in previous comment. I just needed to protest loud

Thank you Ray and gfvalvo for the extra information. Because I have trouble with pointers I have a sketch containing examples of what works, all this has been added to it for future reference.

Much appreciated.