Using Reed Relays to switch circuits, to control a variety of remotes

Hi Folks,

I've got this project where I'm trying to short external switches so it activates different buttons on a remote.

I've got the input pins set and working, and output pins with LEDS that indicate which mode/level I am on, that's working..

But Im struggling with the set-up for output switch that shorts the buttons on remote..

Right now Im trying to use transitors.. but my remote has its own power source (batteries) and doesn't need the transitor to supply power or take away power.. I need certain buttons shorted when I want them to be...

Any help folks?

Many thanks!!
Roger

Relays?

Weedpharma

Thanks man, yeah Relays- that's exactly what I need.

Googling 5v Relays now.. ideally its one component that can has 5-6 switches.

How about a relay shield?
See post #20 and #28
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=276450.15

Another choice is the 4016 or 4066 Quad Analog Switch.

Aw yea thanks johnwasser, that works better since its much smaller than relays
Testing a 4066 chip now :slight_smile:

ok looks like 4066 is out... The chip works nicely when setting up analog circuit with a test LED, but it doesn't work to control my remote- it creates a short for both OFF & ON.. shoot! :stuck_out_tongue:

Back to googling Relays

Look for reed relays. Some are then size of a 14-16 pin DIP or smaller.

Thanks- trying out some reed relays now..
had some in the shop
first one doesn't work.. I don't seem to understand how the operating voltage works.. I just connect it across the pins as indicated, and the switching circuit doesn't work
Operate Voltage is 3.8VDC
Im connecting 5v.. doesn't switch the circuit
using potter brumfied jwd-171-21

don't have too many 5V reed relays, most are rated 12V here in the shop :stuck_out_tongue:

ok trying out a W171DIP - 21
Nominal Voltage 5V
Coil at pin 2 & 6..
going to use pin 14 & 8 for switch..

So those Reed Relays don't need Vin/Ground? that's connected at the coil eh?

Okay got two of them working. :slight_smile: So do all reed relays have just one coil? I guess I need one reed relay per output.. since I want to operate each switch independently

Most relays just have 1 coil.
The coil can operate 1 or more sets of contacts.

These relays for example have dual coils - they are latching relays. Pulse one coil to close the contacts one way (C to NC). Pulse the other coil to close the contacts the other way (C to NO).

TILbcits:
Okay got two of them working. :slight_smile: So do all reed relays have just one coil? I guess I need one reed relay per output.. since I want to operate each switch independently

Yes, one relay per output. Don't forget to use a flyback diode on each coil.