Using Relay and Arduino to control 220V lamp

I have a Module 4 Kit Relay 12V , written on it that it take 5-12V , I connected volt and ground of the relay to the 5V and GND on the Arduino, then connected the relay1 to pin4, when I make PIN4 HIGH the Led of Relay 1 lights , but the lamp that i connected to the relay did not light !!!!!! I connected the lamp to relay using CO and NO ports > Any heeeelp ? :~ :~ :~ :~

you have to inverse the logic? i.e. make the pin LOW...

pdoriam: you have to inverse the logic? i.e. make the pin LOW...

Yes i tried , but nothing changes

ok.. here's a thought: Power your relay bank with an external power source (e.g. 9-12V) and connect its GND to arduino's. I'm suspecting you're not driving enough current through the relay's coil. You could be, in fact, over-stressing the arduino's regulator. HTH, Pedro

You mean that i should connect 12V to volt port on realy and connect the GND of relay to GND of Arduino ??
Are You sure that method will not affect the Arduino ?
thanks for your help

Let me clarify that: you feed the relay bank with 9V to 12V max. all grounds are connected. meaning you connect the external power source GND (NOT THE MAINS!!!) to arduino's. HTH Pedro.

pdoriam: Let me clarify that: you feed the relay bank with 9V to 12V max. all grounds are connected. meaning you connect the external power source GND to arduino's. HTH Pedro.

?And what about the Relay GND ?

The relays need to go click-click-click… before you land house wiring to it.

[quote author=Runaway Pancake link=topic=221623.msg1609919#msg1609919 date=1393442069] The relays need to go c*lick-click-click*... before you land house wiring to it. [/quote] you mean that i connect the lamp to the 220V after i switch on the relay , (after the relay lamp turn on)

amaher89:

pdoriam: Let me clarify that: you feed the relay bank with 9V to 12V max. all grounds are connected. meaning you connect the external power source GND to arduino's. HTH Pedro.

?And what about the Relay GND ?

all grounds are connected

At this point I'd advise extreme caution as you're "playing" with main's voltage. be extra sure of what you're doing lest you get electrocuted...

Judging from the way this discussion has been going, my advice is the following:

If your relay kit did not come with a very clear description of how to use it, including how to wire it to the Arduino and the house AC circuitry, put it back in the box. Otherwise, you are nearly guaranteed to destroy something and you may not even survive the experience. None of us know what you have and we are just guessing. Otherwise, post a link to the product page. Then you might get some informed advice.

Consider also a commercial circuit like power switch tail from Adafruit, which is a safe way to interface Arduino with household circuitry. https://www.adafruit.com/products/268

thanks all , special thanks to PEDRO , I tired you method and it did work :D thanks jremington for your caution (Y), you are right I burned my Arduino when I was trying to work the relay on with my self , I have connected the 12V power source in the 5V pin by mistake :(