using separate ir transmitter and receiverfor distance measurement

is it possible to use a ir receiver that receives remote signals for measuring distance with normal ir led using time of flight method. if yes, how is that done, is there any way to detect signals that are not hexadecimal as sent my remotes. i thought millis function would do the work if im some how able to detect a non coded ir pulse (unlike remote signals) using the receiver.

ramkumar08:
is it possible to use a ir receiver that receives remote signals for measuring distance with normal ir led using time of flight method. if yes, how is that done, is there any way to detect signals that are not hexadecimal as sent my remotes. i thought millis function would do the work if im some how able to detect a non coded ir pulse (unlike remote signals) using the receiver.

Of course it is possible. Have you determined what the ranges of the time of flight might be?

Your scheme will only work with individual light pulses, not data encoded IR signals.

What timing equipment do you have available that will allow you to time the light pulse sent by the transmitter and when it is received by the receiver? Not something an Arduino can do.

Paul