using the arduino IDE and compiler , but not the arduino bootloader .

hello .
I want to suttle with the SPI programming , so i will use an arduino uno as an SPI programmer .
what i need , is to use the arduino IDE and compiler to write code for an atmega1284 .
i was using AVR studio . but the arduino IDE is much lighter and better for programming .

how can i do this ?

By selecting File -> Upload Using Programmer. But I have no idea if the ATmega1284 is supported. Otherwise you have to create your own "board" to make it work.

how can i write my own "board" ?

Instead, why not find an Arduino that uses the 1284, and select that?

i dont think there is one though.

any good documentations on how to write files for the arduino to add support for avr chips ?

amine2:
i dont think there is one though.

You are wrong. Search for it (there isn't an "official" Arduino 1284, but the support files exist).

I still use this with 1.0.6

Haven't looked into what's needed for 1.6.x lately.

CrossRoads:
I still use this with 1.0.6
GitHub - JChristensen/mighty-1284p: Mighty 1284P Platform for Arduino
Haven't looked into what's needed for 1.6.x lately.

Don't think the IDE update affects it (it was recognized as "legacy board"). I'm using 1.6.5 with 1284P OSPL variant, pretty much a renamed Bobuino variant to take some credit :smiley:

OP,

I recommend using the Bobuino variant/mapping scheme. It works like UNO only with more pins and memory.
Also, do you have a dev board with 1284P? Bobuino would be a natural choice. If I didn't design my own boards, I'd be using those.