Using the ESP6288 Thing as a normal ESP

Hello
I bought an ESP8266 Thing from sparkfun website, but i want to use as a normal esp without the micro controller in it, i want to use the arduino to program it because i dont have an FTDI breakout board.
Thank you please advice me to any other solution if i can’t do this.

Saber-h:
i want to use as a normal esp without the micro controller in it

What do you mean by that? The ESP8266 is the microcontroller on the Sparkfun Thing:

Saber-h:
i want to use the arduino to program it because i dont have an FTDI breakout board.

Just buy one. You can get them for less than $2 USD with free shipping on eBay or Aliexpress. Make sure to get one with the same pinout as the header on your Thing so you can plug it right in. It’s really a useful tool to have for many purposes. Trying to use an Arduino will work but it’s just an unnecessary complication. Use your Arduino as an Arduino.

Thanks for replaying. So i can use any cheap FTDI as long as it has the same pinout as the thing header?. my other Q is i just want the to program the arduino and let it deal with esp8266 thing. i want the use the thing to reach the internet only. am new to this whole IOT but as i know u need a way to reach the internet and receive data over the wireless to the arduino and the arduino will do the rest and thats what i want ! :(

I bought three of the ESP-01 modules. They are the simplest and cheapest.

You should be able to use any cheap FTDI.

I would strongly urge that you get a 3.3V power supply for the ESP module.

Saber-h: Thanks for replaying. So i can use any cheap FTDI as long as it has the same pinout as the thing header?. my other Q is i just want the to program the arduino and let it deal with esp8266 thing. i want the use the thing to reach the internet only. am new to this whole IOT but as i know u need a way to reach the internet and receive data over the wireless to the arduino and the arduino will do the rest and thats what i want ! :(

If you use the ESP8266 you probably won't even need to use an Arduino. The ESP8266 can do almost anything an Arduino can do. Using both of them while you won't need to is highly inefficient.

Get a Wemos D1 Mini. They are small, almost as cheap as the pare modules, have all the pins and an onboard USB-to-Serial bridge. I tend to use them even on boards with limited space, as I an fit stuff under them (even an MP1584 switching regulator module), if space is an issue.

I discourage getting any of the modules for general purpose stuff. They have a small pitch and need not only an FTDI adapter, but also 2 pull resistors to properly boot.

Lennyz1988 is right that the ESP can do a lot. A lot of things even better than the Arduino: Faster, more memory …
The only issue is the lack of periphery. Everything is done in software. That means, when you disable interrupts (like some libs e.g. do for a short time to get the timings right when reading a DHT22), PWM will not work anymore and similar stuff.

Watch some (of the many) ESP videos from Andreas Spiess on youtube. Leo..

ElCaron: Get a Wemos D1 Mini.

They run on 3.3V Do you use a separate power supply for them?

Saber-h: Thanks for replaying. So i can use any cheap FTDI as long as it has the same pinout as the thing header?. my other Q is i just want the to program the arduino and let it deal with esp8266 thing. i want the use the thing to reach the internet only. am new to this whole IOT but as i know u need a way to reach the internet and receive data over the wireless to the arduino and the arduino will do the rest and thats what i want ! :(

1. Make sure the FTDI has a selectable 3.3V option. The regular 5V will fry your Sparkfun board.

2. Did you read the tutorial on the Sparkfun page for the Thing ? If not do so in detail.. there is this point about cutting a DTR trace and replacing it with a jumper. Very soon you will need to do that.

3. Withe Thing, the ESP8266 is THE mcu ... here again you need to get the Arduino firmware. Again read the tutorial !!

Saber-h: i want the use the thing to reach the internet only. am new to this whole IOT but as i know u need a way to reach the internet and receive data over the wireless to the arduino and the arduino will do the rest and thats what i want ! :(

Typically this will be done by installing the AT firmware on the ESP8266 and then controlling the ESP8266 from a standard Arduino board over serial. As you've been told a few times now, you also have the option of using the Thing on its own without an Arduino board but whether that's a better option depends on your project.

Thanks to all of you. Am not familiar with everything you mentioned but i will look it up u have been a big help.

ieee488: They run on 3.3V Do you use a separate power supply for them?

I don't understand you question. Separate from what? All ESP8266 run on 3.3V. If you run it from USB, it has an onboard LDO. If you run it from another supply, that will usually be your only supply. Most of my recent projects didn't need 5V at all.

ElCaron: I don't understand you question. Separate from what? All ESP8266 run on 3.3V. If you run it from USB, it has an onboard LDO. If you run it from another supply, that will usually be your only supply. Most of my recent projects didn't need 5V at all.

I am not a mindreader about what you are doing with your projects hence the question. If you are gearing your projects to 3.3 V, then that answers the question.

And you mean an onboard LDO regulator?

Yes, of course I mean an LDO regulator. I still don't understand your question. There is nothing specific about the D1 Mini regarding 3.3V. However, if you are interested in the full story: I never plug in two supplies. If my supply gives me 5V I either use the onboard regulator or put in my own somewhere. If my supply voltage is higher, e.g. 12V with lighting projects, I step it down with an MP1584, which can be neatly placed under the D1, and feed it to an LDO for the last step. If not superregulated 5V are required in the project, I take it from the MP1584.