Using the IDE on a Mac

Hi, I no longer run a microsoft system and use either a MacBook Pro or an iMac.
I have loaded the latest version of the IDE 1.8.xx but it does NOT work.
For some reason the Mac OS version does not like either the "Customised Libraries" or the "Standard Libraries" and returns an error message toe the effect that it is ignoring the libraries because the cannot start with a number or contain a space or whatever.
This is annoying because I have just shelled out for a Freetronics UNO, a Mega and a set of prototyping boards which clearly I cannot use.
Has anyone else had this problem and if so how can I fix it.
Oh, by the way the GITHUB thingy is worse than useless. It won't let me in or re-register no matter what I try.
Thanking someone in advance.
bllrbrtsn@bigpond.com aka Bill Robertson

billrobertson:
returns an error message toe the effect that it is ignoring the libraries because the cannot start with a number or contain a space or whatever.

Success with Arduino, or programming and electronics in general will require you to be very precise. Getting effective help on the forum, the same. You need to post the exact and complete error message, not some vague "toe the effect" paraphrase.

billrobertson:
it does NOT work.

The error you mentioned only means that the library with the invalid folder name will be ignored. It should not cause any additional problem. If you mean something else by "it does NOT work" then you'll need to provide details.

billrobertson:
how can I fix it.

Find the folder under {sketchbook folder}/libraries with a space in the name. You can find the location of the sketchbook folder at File > Preferences > Sketchbook location. There's a good chance this will turn out to be something you accidentally added to that folder that's not even a library, if so remove it from the libraries folder. If it is a library then rename the folder.

billrobertson:
Oh, by the way the GITHUB thingy is worse than useless. It won't let me in or re-register no matter what I try.

Pretty vague. The vast majority of the 26 million GitHub users are having no problems with it.

Ah, becoming clearer but still not there.
When I laid a sketch into the IDE (1.8.5) and try to compile it, the same errors occur.
I found where the sketches are stored but I can't see any which start with anything other than a letter.

Please post the exact error.

Herewith the compiler error!

#include <Wire.h> 
#include <LiquidCrystal_I2C.h>

// Set the LCD address to 0x27 for a 16 chars and 2 line display
LiquidCrystal_I2C lcd(0x27, 16, 2);

void setup()
{
	// initialize the LCD
	lcd.begin();
}

void loop()
{
	bool blinking = true;
	lcd.cursor();

while (1) {
		if (blinking) {
			lcd.clear();
			lcd.print("No cursor blink");
			lcd.noBlink();
			blinking = false;
		} else {
			lcd.clear();
			lcd.print("Cursor blink");
			lcd.blink();
			blinking = true;
		}
		delay(4000);
	}
}

That's your sketch, not the error.

Users/BillRobertson/Downloads/Arduino Music Player V1.2/Libraries/Arduino-LiquidCrystal-I2C-Library-master/examples/BlinkingCursor.ino:2:31: fatal error: LiquidCrystal_I2C.h: No such file or Directory #include <LiquidCrystal_I2C.h>

Compilation terminated
exit status 1

Wow I hope I got that right.
One problem area the "LiquidCrystal_I2C... might have been "LiquidCrystal_T2C....

Hope this means something.
BUT; there are spaces in the first line. Could this be the problem?

Cheers
BillR

That doesn't say anything about ignoring a library.

However, it is a library related error. The problem is you didn't install the LiquidCrystal_I2C library. Do this:
Copy Users/BillRobertson/Downloads/Arduino Music Player V1.2/Libraries/Arduino-LiquidCrystal-I2C-Library-master to the {sketchbook folder}/libraries folder. You can find/set the location of your sketchbook folder in the Arduino IDE at File > Preferences > Sketchbook location.

billrobertson:
One problem area the "LiquidCrystal_I2C... might have been "LiquidCrystal_T2C....

No, that's correct.

billrobertson:
BUT; there are spaces in the first line. Could this be the problem?

That won't be a problem because the library folder you are installing doesn't have spaces.

More information on installing libraries: