Using the included LCD Display without libraries

Hi,

I wanted to display chars on the Display on my own, without using the popular LiquidCrystal Library or other libraries
Is this possible or is the library able to do some stuff what you can´t do just with digitalWrite() and delay()?

Which display are you referring to?

You can look at the source code for the libraries. They would be more complex than digitalWrite and delay, but they use the same commands that you can use. So to answer your question, yes, you can do it without libraries, but it usually takes a fair bit of work, and reading and understanding the datasheets.

Is this possible ...

Absolutely.

...or is the library able to do some stuff what you can´t do just with digitalWrite() and delay()?

No. There's no magic to the library, it's essentially a bunch of digital writes and delays.

Follow the [u]LCD Programming Examples[/u] link at http://web.alfredstate.edu/weimandn for heavily commented programming examples.

You can look at the source code for the libraries.

I personally would rather work with un-commented assembly language code than plod through the convoluted web of Arduino library code.

Don

There's no magic to the library, it's essentially a bunch of digital writes and delays.

I personally would rather work with un-commented assembly language code than plod through the convoluted web of Arduino library code

Nice way of contradicting yourself, floresta.

And what display will this be?

Assuming it is the popular HD44780, yes you can. This link should offer you some guidance.

http://www.protostack.com/blog/2010/03/character-lcd-displays-part-1/

TRex:

There's no magic to the library, it's essentially a bunch of digital writes and delays.

I personally would rather work with un-commented assembly language code than plod through the convoluted web of Arduino library code

Nice way of contradicting yourself, floresta.

Is the following less contradictory?

There's no magic to the library, it's essentially a convoluted web of digital writes and delays.

I personally would rather work with un-commented assembly language code than plod through the convoluted web of Arduino library code.

Don