Using the MISO pin when SPI in use

Am I right in thinking that when SPI is enabled that the MISO (pin 12 on the ATMega) cannot be used as a standard pin - I'm only uisng MOSI and SCK. If so is there some way to disable it so pin 12 can be used normally?

Explain "SPI is enabled". Directly on the ATmega chip, or using a library function ?

"Am I right in thinking that when SPI is enabled that the MISO (pin 12 on the ATMega) cannot be used as a standard pin"

You are correct - if you are using hardware SPI, the Atmel datasheet says the pin is defined as an input pin.

lukedom89: Am I right in thinking that when SPI is enabled that the MISO (pin 12 on the ATMega) cannot be used as a standard pin - I'm only uisng MOSI and SCK. If so is there some way to disable it so pin 12 can be used normally?

No, the hardware takes it over. You might use the USART in SPI mode instead. In that case I think you can control whether or not you use the receiver. However that uses different pins, and you may require async serial. If not, this could work for you.