Using the R1025 stepper drive

I am trying to run a LIN engineering motor (5818 Series | Hybrid Stepper Motor | Lin Engineering) 5818L-05P-03RO using the R1025 motor drive (R1025 | STEPPER DRIVER | Lin Engineering).

I want to do it using the Arduino. Kindly suggest me on how to proceed.

Hi,
Can you please tell us your electronics, programming, Arduino, hardware experience?

Have you downloaded the manual for the drive?

What do you want ot do with it?
How are you going to supply power for the stepper?

Thanks... Tom.. :slight_smile:

That seems to be a standard stepper driver that takes step and direction inputs.

These links should help get you started

Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code

also look up the AccelStepper library

...R

TomGeorge:
Hi,
Can you please tell us your electronics, programming, Arduino, hardware experience?

Have you downloaded the manual for the drive?

What do you want ot do with it?
How are you going to supply power for the stepper?

I am quite familiar with Arduino and its workings. I have used the Arduino extensively for IoT related projects with the WiFi shield, ethernet shield also. I have also used the NodeMCU. So I am familiar with coding the same and also hardware related to it.

I have used DC and servo motors before but it is my first experience with a stepper. (code as well as hardware). I did download the manual and make the connections as mentioned in the power and the logic side. However I am unsure of how to code it.

I want to move the motor forward and backward, whilst changing speeds as needed. For the power I have a 12V smps.

Robin2:
That seems to be a standard stepper driver that takes step and direction inputs.

These links should help get you started

Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code

also look up the AccelStepper library

...R

Thank you for the inputs. I shall check and get back to you.

Thanks guys! The links @robin2 provided were very informative. The stepper is working perfectly now.

Can anybody share the wiring diagram for the R1025 Driver?

RLR:
Can anybody share the wiring diagram for the R1025 Driver?

Have you looked at the link in the Original Post - it seems to have all the details.

...R

Yes i looked at the post, this is my first time using this kind of driver (not a simple one like you get with the kit) and i do want to make sure the logic wiring is correct, and how to initiate the movement

RLR:
and i do want to make sure the logic wiring is correct, and how to initiate the movement

I think the easiest thing is for you to make a simple pencil drawing showing how you think things should be connected and then post a photo of the drawing. That way we can focus on any misunderstanding you may have - though I suspect you will get it right,

For test code use the link in Reply #2

...R
Simple Image Guide

Thank you,

I was able to use the motor but without the Stepper lib, only by using high and low commends for a specified time duration.
The problem that i have is that for initiating the motor i have to use at least two pins but for the logic controls on the driver i only have 1 input for step, this is the wiring difficulty i mentioned.
Just looking for a way to use the stepper library here instead of digitalwrites

The standard Stepper library is not suitable - it is not intended for stepper drivers that take step and direction signals. Either write your own code or use the AccelStepper library.

Have you studied the code in my link?

...R

I sure have, and would keep to while writing the code, thank you

Hi,
What Arduino are you using?

The problem that i have is that for initiating the motor i have to use at least two pins but for the logic controls on the driver i only have 1 input for step, this is the wiring difficulty i mentioned.

Can you please post a copy of your circuit, in CAD or a picture of a hand drawn circuit in jpg, png?

Thanks.. Tom... :slight_smile: