Using toggle switches

gmc-cdu

When you activate these they go off like a gun - bang.

Hi Tom,

Another one, using a similar idea as Arduino is the Megapoints. the cost of these is around $70 plus the cost of the servo's. As for Tortoise point motors, they range around $40 each.

Best Rgds,
Dave R.

Best Rgds,
Dave R.

1 Like

This should be very close, some guesses were made :pleading_face:

Okay, so what are your intensions ?

• Did you want the Arduino to do the switching with the current hardware ?

• Did you want to replace the Point Motor(s) with servos ?

Hi Larry,

OK, I want to take out the Motor_Point and replace that with a servo. The capacitor will go and that is where the Arduino would take over.

I know I'm not making this very clear, but take a look at this and you'll get a better idea of what I'm seeking to do.

Model Railway Points/Turnout Servo Motor Installation - YouTube.

It's only a 6 min video.

Best Rgds,
Dave R.

Some questions.

• How many servos will you have in total ?

Most hobby servos require a 6VDC power supply.

• What servo(s) will you be using ?

• What kind of other things will you want to do with the Arduino ?

• Do you have an Arduino, which one ?

• Will you want a Led indicator showing the state of your servo ?

• Are you mechanically inclined ?

• Do you know how to solder wires ?

• Do you have a DVM ?

Hi Larry,

First up, I want to thank you greatly for your help and assistance on this matter, it is greatly appreciated. I'll get all the data together and get back very shortly.

Best Rgds,
Dave R.

Getting close to sleep time, will check back in the morning.

Hi Larry,

Answers for you

8 servo's to start with, more as I go along
Separate 5 volt power supply
SG90 miro servo's
Nothing
Arduino Uno together with PVM servo driver, if required
The led is independent of the servo and once the switch is thrown the servo will operate and the led will be lit
Reasonably, yes
Yes
Yes

Hope this helps.

Best Rgds,
Dave R.

I believe these have plastic gears, you might want to look at metal gears instead like the MG90S or like the MG995 (they are larger).

The PCA9685 board allows you to drive 16 servos.

Will you have a SPDT switch for each servo ?

Two LEDs per servo ?

Bed time now.
:sleeping:
:sleeping_bed:

Hi Larry,
Hope you had a good nights sleep and are ready to face the world. :yawning_face:
OK, As there is not a lot of tension being exerted on the servo's, I think the plastic wheels will do. Yes, there will be 1 x SPDT switches and 2 x led's per servo.

best Rgds,
Dave R.

And for points actuation, you will not want to use the furthest link on the radius arm, rather the nearest to the hub! The illustration in #10 is ridiculous!

1 Like

I personally would not use plastic gears.
Had some, the gears stripped, :worried: metal ones didn’t. :smiley:

Mind you, was driving a heavy load.

• Will you need a LCD (display) on the Arduino ?
  • Where will the LEDs be physically located ?
  • Where will the switches be located ?
  • Will you need macro switches ? i.e. you push a switch and the Arduino sets the track to a certain physical track positioning, push a different switch and the track is set to different positioning etc. . . .
  • Do you know how to crimp wires connectors ?
  • Do you know what perf board is ?

At this point, to reduce complexity, an Arduino Mega might be the best solution for the controller.

54 digital pins, 16 analog pis.

Each track switch needs:

• 1 servo, 2 switch inputs, and 2 LEDs = 5 digital pins.
  • 8 track switches will need 40 digital pins.

Suggest you not use multiplexers (see post 19).
The Mega can do all this for you.

There will be a fair amount of wiring that needs to be done. :slight_smile:

Hi Paul,

I was thinking along those lines as there isn't a great deal of movement required, but thanks for the advice.

Best Rgds,
Dave R.

Hi Larry,

Had to wait as I'd exceeded my # of reply's allowed. In the mean time you have forwarded the schematic, which I can read and understand. This would be an ideal thing to post up on several model railway/railroad sites as it would interest a lot of modellers.

From reading over the schematic, question, are you using Eagle?

No need for LCD Display.
Led's and switches are located on a separate board.
What currently happens is that the switch activates to point motor which in turn, activates an led indicating the route set. As the motor goes from one side to the other it switches the current through tags D or E to the appropriate led.
I was hoping to use the existing layout but instead of the current capacitor/ motor set up, use the Arduino/Servo instead.
Yes & Yes.

Best Rgds,
Dave R.

Using an old schematic program.
Eagle, KiCAD, and EasyEDA (online) are good.

• Will you need macro switches ? i.e. you push a switch and the Arduino sets all track switches to a certain physical positioning.
    Push a different switch and the track switches are set to different positioning.
    etc. . . .

Crimping Dupont connectors:

Hi Larry,

That's great for I have several tables over which my layout runs so having connector cables between them is a must. Running quickly through the pdf you can see that it's well presented with little step by step operations.

Thanks again for all your help.

Best Rgds,
Dave R.

FYI, 900+ posts that you might get something out of.