Using uno as an isp Question

I have an UNO board and want to load a boot loader to a new chip on a bread board but am I to understand that when I use the UNO for this I will load the ISP program onto the stock chip that is already set up in the UNO and then when I upload the boot loader program it will go to the breadboard chip through the wiring from the UNO to the breadboard and not the chip on the UNO which would make sense.

I am trying to under stand that you cannot program a boot loader onto a blank chip by just putting it in the UNO board and uploading the boot loader program to it. You have to have the ISP program on the UNO chip. This may sound as redundant questions but I want to make sure everyone gets me. OR NOT.

zzprop: I have an UNO board and want to load a boot loader to a new chip on a bread board but am I to understand that when I use the UNO for this I will load the ISP program onto the stock chip that is already set up in the UNO and then when I upload the boot loader program it will go to the breadboard chip through the wiring from the UNO to the breadboard and not the chip on the UNO which would make sense.

I am trying to under stand that you cannot program a boot loader onto a blank chip by just putting it in the UNO board and uploading the boot loader program to it. You have to have the ISP program on the UNO chip.

Correct.

Thanks R. P.