Using Wifi to control arduino

I have a project that I am beginning to plan out. It will use an arduino uno to control a robot that will eventually be autonomous and controlled simplistically through an android app. I need a way for the android phone to be able to connect to the robot. Originally, I was going to use Bluetooth to accomplish this, however, I don't like the range I will get via Bluetooth so I wanted to know if WiFi would be a better option for a farther range. I need the robot to act as a network that the phone can connect to. It doesn't need to be internet capable, but it does need to be able to send commands and telemetry information from the phone to the robot and vice versa. I want to know if it would be possible to set up a system that functions very similarly to the way the DJI Phantom quadcopters use wifi to establish a connection between a cell phone and the drone itself.

Any advice or other ideas would be much appreciated. I'm open to any questions and any other opinions. I don't know much about using wifi as a communication method so any help such as necessary parts or programming ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Ben

bcombs18: Any advice or other ideas would be much appreciated. I'm open to any questions and any other opinions.

Welp, here's my opinion. Bluetooth is the way-to-go. A bluetooth HC05 Module is so easy to use. It uses basic Serial communication. Here's my experience.

I purchased my module and had it up-and-running in less that 20mins. (More like 5-10mins) They connect easily to a Serial port (I used an Arduino Mega because of the extra Serial ports. But I assume you could just use normal Serial on the Uno, or even SoftwareSerial!)

You can easily send and get data, (I used chars) and it has GREAT range. (I was able to control my robot from the next room, with a wall inbetween!)

Assuming you have an Android phone, you can use MIT App Inventor to create your own custom app to control your robot, and install it on your phone! It's really easy and fun!

The Bluetooth module can easily be reconfigured using AT commands, so you can rename it and stuff.

I wouldn't worry about the range too much, like I said, I can control my robot from another room!

stupid-questions: I wouldn't worry about the range too much, like I said, I can control my robot from another room!

Okay, that was initially why I wanted to go with Bluetooth to begin with the only problem is that the robot that I am building is essentially a big snow blower that is being computerized. I need a connection range that can reach all the way down a street if needed. If the snow blower needed to be stopped immediately and I don't have a connection to it because it's out of range, it's just going to keep going. I want something where I can stay on my driveway and let the snowblower do its run down the sidewalk and still be able to hit press a kill switch button on the phone that would shut down the snowblower. Wifi generally has a pretty lengthy range and can be easier boosted which is why I was asking about it. I appreciate your input and I'll definitely take a look at that module you suggested. What would you say about still wanting to use Bluetooth for that kind of range?

Thanks again

I did a little more research into the bluetooth modules that are available. What do you guys think of this module from sparkfun. It has a 100m range which is much more than I think I would need and it leaves plenty of room just in case. It also uses the serial communication that you mentioned before. Would this be a good module to purchase?

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12582