using yun with upgraded ram

hi, i was wondering if it were at all possible to use an Arduino Yun with a 4GB SD card to run an OCR program, like OpenCV or Tessaract. I'm working on a project and haven't found much headway. Some who say they can and some who say they can't. i'm trying to read only one character from a picture as an identifier. The 4GB SD card is used to upgrade the disk space for the Yun. any ideas?

clarkd777:
hi, i was wondering if it were at all possible to use an Arduino Yun with a 4GB SD card to run an OCR program, like OpenCV or Tessaract. I'm working on a project and haven't found much headway. Some who say they can and some who say they can't. i'm trying to read only one character from a picture as an identifier. The 4GB SD card is used to upgrade the disk space for the Yun. any ideas?

@clarkd777,

I reviewed the Yún Software Packages. There is no OpenCV or Tessaract, listed.

Google: openwrt opencv

OpenCV: Open Source Computer Vision Library

Google: site:forum.arduino.cc yun opencv

OpenCV on Yun

SonnyYu

I port OpenCV to Yun-Openwrt. OpenCV is very cpu intensive application. if detection takes 0.2 sec at laptop. It could take 0.8 sec at Yun since it only has AR9331 CPU/400Mhz. The speed is only major issue.

What you would like to do?

Jesse

sonnyyu:
Arduino Yun's SoC is AR9331. It has neither FPU nor GPU.

Raspberry Pi's SoC is a Broadcom BCM2835. This contains an ARM1176JZFS, with FPU, running at 700Mhz, and a Videocore 4 GPU. The GPU is capable of BluRay quality playback, using H.264 at 40MBits/s. It has a fast 3D core accessed using the supplied OpenGL ES2.0 and OpenVG libraries.
Post same question at Raspberry Pi forum?

Pi support Tesseract

Pi support Opencv

thanks for the help!