UV sensor ST1145

Hi all.

I am in the process of adding the above UV sensor to my Arduino based Weather station. Can anyone advice me on what type of housing to mount it in, given it is very small and not waterproof, what have other forum members used?

Regards

Ray

ST1145 or SI1145 ?

My apologies, that's ST 1145

Are you sure ? Does it even exist ?

The manufacturer Silicon Labs does exist. Their website is silabs.com and their components have often SI....

Again my apologies, i am having an age moment, it's SI 1145

Here is a nice explanation: Blog George Timmermans - George timmermans.

Is it possible to keep the sensor itself in the shade and have it look outside without glass in between ?

Do you want it to capture direct sunlight ? I don't know if the sensor can take that, probably not.

For normal light are domes available that a specified for example to 10% transparent for visible light.
For UV light you need a special UV dome, for example this one: http://www.eoc-inc.com/genicom/UV%20sensor%20probe%20air%20outdoor.htm. It says "Quartz dome".

Hi Koepel.

Many thanks for this extremely useful info, i am adding the sensor, not for direct sunlight but just to obtain a UV Index to within 1 index accuracy.

Regards

Ray

not for direct sunlight but just to obtain a UV Index to within 1 index accuracy.

As I'm sure you've noticed from the SI1145 data sheet, it does not measure UV, but estimates the UV Index from the visible and IR. That estimate is reasonably accurate only on a cloudless, sunny day.

In any case, you don't need to worry about the dome passing UV -- it just has to be transparent to visible and IR, from 400 to 1100 nm.