V1.8.7 runs fine, V1.8.13 fails to load and run.

Computer is Win7 with all updates, 1 TB drives, 8 Gb memory. I have been running V1.8.7 for quite awhile with no problems. Used it with all versions of Arduino and lots of libraries. Decided to update. Installed V1.8.13 and it ran initially. Tried to start it today and will not run. Appears to fail at loading packages. Reinstalled V1.8.7 and it runs fine.

Just curious if anyone else has the same problem and any ideas as to why.

Please do this:

• Start File Explorer (AKA Windows Explorer).
  • Open the Arduino IDE’s installation folder (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino)
  • In the folder listing of the Arduino IDE installation folder, hold the Shift key while clicking the right hand button on the mouse.
  • Click “Open PowerShell window here” (or “Open command window here” if using Windows 7). PowerShell (or cmd if using Windows 7) will now open with the current directory set to the Arduino IDE installation folder.
  • Type ./arduino_debug
  • Press Enter. Debug output should now be printed to the PowerShell window as the Arduino IDE starts (or fails to start).
  • Wait for the Arduino IDE to finish starting, or failing to start.
  • Switch back to the PowerShell window if the Arduino IDE window took the focus.
  • Right click on the title bar of the PowerShell window.
  • Click Edit > Select All. This will select all the text in the PowerShell window.
  • Press Ctrl + c. This will copy the contents of the PowerShell window to the clipboard.
  • In this Arduino forum thread, click on the reply field.
  • Click the </> button on the forum toolbar. This will add the forum’s code tags markup to your reply, making it easier for us to read.
  • Press Ctrl + V. This will paste the output between the code tags.
  • Move the cursor outside of the code tags before you add any additional text to your reply.
  • Click the “Post” button.

Hopefully that will give us some information we can use to help you with the problem.

Will do asap. Will reinstall 1.8.13 and do as you state. Thanks

When I typed ./arduino_debug, here is what I got;

C:\GCB@Syn\Arduino>./arduino_debug
‘.’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\GCB@Syn\Arduino>

Here is the result for 1.8.7

C:\GCB@Syn\Arduino>arduino_debug
Loading configuration…
Initializing packages…
Preparing boards…
Starting…

I will do the same for 1.8.13 when I reinstall it but I do remember it quit at “Initializing packages”.

markvincenzo:
When I typed ./arduino_debug, here is what I got;

C:\GCB@Syn\Arduino>./arduino_debug
'.' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Sorry about that. That command works on PowerShell, but not on cmd, which the arduino_debug command you used works on cmd but not PowerShell. However I see that .\arduino_debug works on both so I've updated my notes so that I'll be sure to provide the universal command the next time I'm assisting someone with this sort of thing.

markvincenzo:
Here is the result for 1.8.7

C:\GCB@Syn\Arduino>arduino_debug
Loading configuration...
Initializing packages...
Preparing boards...
Starting...

Yeah, that's all fine.

markvincenzo:
I will do the same for 1.8.13 when I reinstall it but I do remember it quit at "Initializing packages".

Well, if you're happy with 1.8.7 then you're not obligated to reinstall 1.8.13. I sort of assumed you still had 1.8.13, but of course there's no real reason you would. But there have surely been some improvements since 1.8.7, so you might like to use the up to date IDE version and I'm happy to take a look at the debug output to see if it provides some clues to the fix.

You could also sidestep the issue entirely by skipping over Arduino IDE 1.8.13 and going straight to Arduino IDE 2.0.0-beta.3. But that is still in the beta development phase so you're likely to find there are some things not quite working correctly right now.

I appreciate the help.
I thought that I needed 1.8.13 to use a Nano Every but turned out just needed to update the Boards Manager List.

I looked at Arduino IDE 2.0.0 and looks great. I will try it out.

One question though; will it work with Windows 7? It lists Win10 but not Win7.

Oops, I missed that you were using Windows 7. The last I heard it does not work on Windows 7:

The link above was the reference used when defining the minimum operating system requirements on the download page.
But that was over a year ago during the very early development, so it's possible things have changed. I haven't had the chance to try it out on a Windows 7 machine yet to see what happens.

So you can try it out if you like. I would recommend using the "Windows ZIP file" version because that has less operating system interaction due to not having an installer. Just download it, unzip the downloaded file, then double click on the "Arduino IDE.exe" file that's inside the unzipped folder. Then you'll likely have your answer.

If you try it out, please let me know what happens. Otherwise Arduino IDE 1.8.7 and 1.8.13 are still perfectly fine. Arduino IDE 2.0.0 is still a little rough around the edges, so it's mostly intended for beta testing right now, but it does work perfectly well enough to use.

Thanks for the information and advice. It is appreciated. I'm right in the middle of some projects so will be a few days before I can try IDE 2.0.0.

Not a fan of Win10 and my Win7 system (1Tb drives, dual 32" monitors, etc) runs just fine and really don't want to waste time with Win10 and whether all my legacy Win7 programs will run or not. However, I am considering buying another system and it would probably be Win10 though.

I'm also not a fan of Windows 10. It seems like the operating system just gets worse and worse with every release (though I suspect Windows 10 is actually a bit of an improvement over 8 ).

I certainly miss my old Windows 7 system, but I accepted that I had no choice but to move on. I have done everything in my power to configure Windows 10 to use the standard UI conventions that Microsoft established over the years, but now seems bent on throwing out the window in exchange for a frankensteinian mishmash of whatever each designer feels like inflicting on the users.

I did the same when I upgraded from XP to 7 and from 95 to XP, and from 3.11 to 95 (yeah, I'm old). So even my Windows 7 was very different from what a stock 7 install looks like.

V1.8.13 does run on Windows 7 64-bit, I don't have a 32-bit to try it on.

Marsha

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.