variable time using processing

what would be the easiest way to program a time value into a sketch that is plugged in from a reading off a pot. want to control the delay time between a solenoid going off, but leave the amount of time always the same. i looking at trying to adapt the blink sketch, but can not find a good reference to do the variable time.

this is what i came up with, but i think i need to change it not to use the delay function because i want to run other stuff on the board also(servo control). Also, how would i output the value of the pot so i could make it a permanent value once i figure out what i should set it at. I tired a couple ways but could not get it to output anything.

//solenoid control with pot

int potPin = 3; // select the input pin for the potentiometer int SolenoidPin = 13; // Pin for the solenoid int val = 0; // variable to store pot value

void setup() { pinMode(SolenoidPin, OUTPUT); }

void loop() { val = analogRead(potPin); // read pot digitalWrite(SolenoidPin, HIGH); // turn the solenoid on delay(20); // pause digitalWrite(SolenoidPin, LOW); // turn the ledPin off delay(val+30); // pause with value from pot plus a min so the solenoid can not be constant on }