Varying opacity of LCD

Hi,

I am trying to do this project with an lcd and the intention is to be able to pass ultraviolet light through certain parts of the LCD. I need to be able to turn certain pixels "opaque" to UV and other pixels allow UV to pass. Is there any way to do this via software? It doesn't necessarily have to be arduino but I want to be able to control where UV gets reflected and where it passes through it.

By the way, I am referring to just the LCD without the backlight, bezel, or polarization filters.

I have a standard tft laptop lcd.

Thanks,
Rohit

i would imagine that a black pixel would stop light and white would let it pass.

since the white plastic and the lighting int he screen are what make it appear white right ?

try make a jpg of a chess board and hit it with light and see what happens

Thats exactly what I thought and tried, but the black is only stopping visible light for some reason. Also, when I do black and look at it under a microscope, it is just individual red, green, and blues. Is there any way to make every pixel actually black?

I am trying to do this project with an lcd and the intention is to be able to pass ultraviolet light through certain parts of the LCD. I need to be able to turn certain pixels "opaque" to UV and other pixels allow UV to pass. Is there any way to do this via software?

This is in the field of the 'day job' for one of our forum members, liudr. He hasn't made too many posts lately and he may be on vacation. You could try sending him a 'PM' in which case he may get an email alert.

Don

floresta:

I am trying to do this project with an lcd and the intention is to be able to pass ultraviolet light through certain parts of the LCD. I need to be able to turn certain pixels "opaque" to UV and other pixels allow UV to pass. Is there any way to do this via software?

This is in the field of the 'day job' for one of our forum members, liudr. He hasn't made too many posts lately and he may be on vacation. You could try sending him a 'PM' in which case he may get an email alert.

Don

I guess that there is some logic in the RGB dots for a black pixel, Shame that we are both wrong hey , sorry i can help anymore, :slight_smile:

Standard TFT displays were designed for visible light only. I don't think you are going to have much success with what you describe. IMO

Doc

if you can pull it off it woudl be an awesome way of developing UV reactive prototype boards without needing a printer and plastic sheets to print to ,

imagine just load a jpeg on the screen , and develop , !!

Isn't coloured surfaces visible due to certain frequencies of light reflecting, while light of a different colour is absorbed?? going on this principal, wouldn't black visible pixels be unable to absorb the uv light. Also the edges of pixels aren't really touching are they? On a micro level, they probably all effectively have a border of non pixel space.

Just some thoughts.

The only reason a black pixel is black on an LCD is that it polerised the light in one direction and the light comming through the LCD is polerised in the other direction. So with a reflective LCD there is a polarising reflector.
As these do not work at UV wavelengths then it is not going to work.