Vehicle engine

Im trying to build a device that measure the time the engine is on. I have all the program working and all i need is to detect when the engine is on. I detect the engine is on by detecting when the engine is on. How can i detect if there is current/voltage?
There are 3 car battery types
12v
24v
36v
Thanks for all the help

What is the engine part of?

Does the engine have an electronic control system, perhaps using CANBUS? You can interface an Arduino to CANBUS.

How come there are three different battery voltages?

...R

There are lots of suitable signal sources, much depends on the age and type of engine. One of the most useful engine running signals comes from the alternator WL terminal (drives the warning light) and is just a logic 12v, high when the engine is running. Otherwise you could go to the low tension side of the coil and read the ignition pulses.

A non invasive method is to use one of the many "current" sensing devices that are available for the arduino.
That would give you a lot of options for placement with zero risk to the Arduino.

Note there are two types.
One breaks into a line and the other just has the line passing through the sensor.

Bob.

Robin2:
What is the engine part of?

Does the engine have an electronic control system, perhaps using CANBUS? You can interface an Arduino to CANBUS.

How come there are three different battery voltages?

...R

12v for most cars
24v for small-medium size trucks
36v for big trucks
Its a Internal combustion engine
Its supposed to be suitable for all trucks and buses.

Yescas:
12v for most cars
36v for big trucks

Does this mean you are trying to design a commercial product and are hoping to boost your profits with our free advice?

...R

You can purchase “ engine hours “ gauges and make a rugged cheap solution.

Yescas:
12v for most cars
36v for big trucks

Petrol and Diesel.
Tom... :slight_smile: