Vehicle Telemetry Platform - Code compiling problem

Hey,

My name is Christian, I’m a student from Austria and I attend a technical sencondary school.
This year me and some classmates have to build a project. We decided to build the “Vehicle Telemetry Platform” from the book “Practical Arduino”. Now the hardware is nearly complete and looks still nice but we’ve got a problem with the source code and the upload on the board:

I’m not a good programer at all, so I downloaded the entire source code and the program “Arduino IDE – arduino 0022” from http://www.practicalarduino.com/projects/vehicle-telemetry-platform. :sweat_smile:

I opened the whole sketch with arduino 0022 and I downloaded and added the files “TinyGPS.h” and “PString.h”. Everything is in the same directory. I don’t know if it’s necessary to add this two header files or even I’m allowed to.
If I press on the “upload” button in the program “arduino 0022” the program gives me three errors:

OBDuinoMega:111: error: variable or field ‘gpsdump’ declared void
OBDuinoMega:111: error: ‘TinyGPS’ was not declared in this scope
OBDuinoMega:111: error: ‘gps’ was not declared in this scope

I can’t compile the sketch, so I don’t get a .hex file and I can’t upload something on the Arduino Mega(ATMega 2560) board.

I hope somebody of you knows what to do.

PS: Excuse me if my English isn’t the best :wink:

I downloaded and added the files “TinyGPS.h” and “PString.h”. Everything is in the same directory.

That wasn't the correct way to install the libraries.

The TinyGPS.h file has an associated TinyGPS.cpp file. The two files (and others) live in a directory called TinyGPS in the sketchfolder\libraries directory.

Similarly, there are other files and directories that are related to the string class that belong in the proper folder in the sketchfolder\libraries directory.

Thanks for the fast answer!

I put the whole "TinyGPS" directory and the "PString" directory to "arduino-0022/libraries/.." and I added these two header file by clicking:

Sketch -> Import Library ... -> "TinyGPS" and "PString"

Now the sketch could be compiled without any errors. - Thank you. ;)

One more question:

Where do the compiled files get saved? Is there any directory?

Where do the compiled files get saved? Is there any directory?

In a temporary directory that is emptied after uploading, unless...

If you hold down the shift key while pressing the upload button, you will get a lot more output, including the (not so) temporary folder where all the intermediate files are created, and they will be left there when the upload is done.

Thank you. You helped me a lot!

Hi,

I have purchased 'Practical Arduino' and I am very interested in building the Vehicle Telemetry Platform, however I find myself stuck without the schematics. I have looked through http://www.practicalarduino.com/projects/vehicle-telemetry-platform and various forums but I cannot find suitable schematics using the ELM327 and GPS. I have got myself an EKLM327 chip and various other necessary components but I would appreciate the schematics so I can begin building the project.

Can anyone please provide these schematics?

Thanks, Mike