Velleman KA4(ethernet shiel) + Dotstar LEDs = SPI Issue. Please help! Urgent.

Hi All,

As the subject suggests, I am using a https://www.velleman.eu/downloads/0/modules/usermanual_vma04.pdf

with the Dotstar LED strips. total of 360 LEDs in the strip.

I had some issues with the velleman and switched to using this library.

Using the standard DotStar library.

Now the issue is… I have the LEDs connected on pins 11 and 13 I had previously tried other pins but it had not worked at all…

Now when I send any command to ethernet shield to control the LEDs they go green and thats it. From then on the SPI pin seems to stay high and never go low. Green is not the intedended colour.

I am experienced at using arduino but in simple projects. Like audio switchers, serial LED control ect… I am really up against it!!

Now I have googled this! I have seen similar posts about other products and to be honest i dont understand some of the responses… like you could bitbang the SPI? im not sure what that means… This is for an install which I am working on at the moment. Due to cabling lengths iv had to abandon my orignal plan of serial control.

If anyone can help I would be very appreicative… All I need to do is dig in the libraries and re allocate pins im sure but i have tried and probably lack of sleep and stress is clouding my thoughts…

Thanks for reading!

Now the issue is.. I have the LEDs connected on pins 11 and 13 I had previously tried other pins but it had not worked at all..

Now when I send any command to ethernet shield to control the LEDs they go green and thats it. From then on the SPI pin seems to stay high and never go low. Green is not the intedended colour.

You can not connect the LEDs to the SPI pins. On the 328-based Arduinos, SPI uses pins 11, 12, and 13, with pin 10 being the "I am the master" pin.

Any ideas how I can resolve the issue then? I have tried other pins. Should these work together or am I pushing something thats just not going to happen?

Any ideas how I can resolve the issue then?

Connect the LEDs to some pin that is not being used. If connecting the LEDs to some other pin results in problems, post the code, a link to the LEDs you are using, a schematic, and a better description of the problem than "that didn't work".