Verification error, content mismatch (Arduino Uno)

Hey guys, I've been having with my Arduino Uno board that I ordered from Adafruit.

For the first couple of uploads, the boards worked flawlessly. I wrote a program to simulate my project's function, and everything was great. I use a Windows 7 laptop with the arduino IDE downloaded from the official site.

Today however, I tried to connect the board to the computer and upload another program I was working on. This error came up: Error: avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000 0x0c != 0x00 avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

Believe, I've looked through the Troubleshooting Guide, and through various other topics posted on the forum, but nothing has worked for me. If at all possible, I'd refrain from returning the board until it is absolutely necessary. Some facts: -bootloader works: pin 13 flashes LED whenever I reset. -Arduino is powered on without hitches: green light -pressing reset and then immediately uploading program did not help -It was literally working the other day. I put it in a box for the night, came back, and had this error.

What can I do to get my Uno back in operation? Thank you in advance!

This is telling you that the bootloader tried to write the value 0x0c to the first byte in the flash memory but when it read it back it received 0x00. This is not good and implies that the erase circuitry inside the processor is not working. I don't think there is anything you can do as a user to correct this, it sounds like a faulty chip to me.

Thank you for your informative reply, Grumpy Mike. I hate to say this, but I think you are right. I bought my board from Adafruit, and from what I've read, their return policy is unforgiving.

How would I go about getting a replacement chip from them? What should I write to them?