(Very first build) Temp sensor going crazy

Thank you for the follow-up.

Great! Now you've got your temperature sensor working, do you have a plan for it?

Well my only concern is that I manipulated the formula to give me the data I wanted, but it might give incorrect data over certain temp ranges.

If every temp sensor has a built in 500mW or 0.5V offset...I think my replacing that with 0.23V doesn't make sense...I'm changing something that should be unchangeable, which is what is bothering me.

But to answer the other question, yes I plan to use it for monitoring the temperature of my algae photobioreactor which I am assembling tomorrow and can take pictures of.

One thing I need to work on is perhaps coating the temp sensor with a good conductor that is also waterproof--such that I can put it inside one of the algae tanks submerged in water without it short circuiting

If every temp sensor has a built in 500mW or 0.5V offset...I think my replacing that with 0.23V doesn't make sense...I'm changing something that should be unchangeable, which is what is bothering me.

That does seem a bit odd. According to the datahsheet...

...calibration is not needed.

The arduino is still powered by 5V correct? I can't tell for certain from the photo what Arduino you are using. It kinda looks like the Uno; which uses a 5V reference.

The default analog reference is 5V. It doesn't matter what voltage you apply to the sensor, when scaling you compare it to the reference.

should be (I think)

// converting that reading to voltage, for arduino UNO use 5.0 
float voltage = reading * 5.0 / 1024; 

// print out the voltage
Serial.print(voltage); Serial.println(" volts");

// now print out the temperature
float temperatureC = (voltage -0.5) * 100 ;  //converting from 10 mv per degree wit 500 mV offset
                                              //to degrees ((volatge - 500mV) times 100)
Serial.print(temperatureC); Serial.println(" degress C");

Changing this code results in a temperature around 68.3 degrees. I would think 68.3 would be "a little cold" while 71 wouldn't exactly be cool to me (and I live in a desert).

I don't like unexplained fudge factors in equations.