Very new to Arduino and need help please!

Hibluetooth

I just recently got my arduino uno starter kit and am still a massive amateur at using/programming this product but I've loved going through the starter kit and learning the basics of the programming behind it. The problem is it still take me a while to pick up/remember and get used to the coding language and now that I have finished the starter guide I want to make some basic projects of my own before moving onto more complicated ones.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me with one idea that I had which is my bedroom door has one of those small bolt locks on it and I like to keep it locked generally but whenever someone knocks on my door its a massive hassle to get up and unlock it (I'm not just lazy, the layout of my room means that I have to climb over my entire bed to get to the door from where I'm sitting haha). So I thought it would be cool if I could program the arduino to work so that from my laptop I could press a button to move the lock forward when I wanted it locked and then backward when I wanted it unlocked.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me the best materials to uses (i.e. motors/bluetooth connectors) and such and how feasable this project would be?

Any help would be much appreciated :slight_smile:

Sounds like a job for a servo motor, a button, and some wire.

Or if you want it wireless... well, what do you want to control it from?

(if you want wireless control from computer, I'd use ESP8266 wifi module with arduino acting as a server, so you could actuate it by hitting a url in the browser)

DrAzzy:
Sounds like a job for a servo motor, a button, and some wire.

Or if you want it wireless... well, what do you want to control it from?

Thanks for the reply,

I've got those things as part of my kit, but yeah preferably I'd like to control from my laptop or phone (but I have an iPhone so I guess thats not an option)

If you have an Android phone this RemoteXY Thread may be of interest.

My EzScrn demo shows how you could control an Arduino with a browser on a PC or a phone.

In both cases all the programming can be done on the Arduino.

As others have said, a servo should be a simple way to move the bolt.

Do make sure that your mechanical system does not prevent you from opening the door manually - in case of fire.

...R

Robin2:
If you have an Android phone this RemoteXY Thread may be of interest.

My EzScrn demo shows how you could control an Arduino with a browser on a PC or a phone.

In both cases all the programming can be done on the Arduino.

As others have said, a servo should be a simple way to move the bolt.

Do make sure that your mechanical system does not prevent you from opening the door manually - in case of fire.

...R

Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to check those out!

you can buy an electric door strike
or you can buy a magnetic lock.
you can also buy an electronic deadbolt

these are all designed to be able to be used in an emergency.

You could probably use a web controlled servo to slide the latch back and fourth, some what similar to the attached picture. The linkage would need to be modified such that the latch can be manually slid back and fourth.

t-1.jpg