Viability of making an Interactive machine with leds, sensors and servo

Dear Arduino Community!

This is my first post in this forum and I need the help of the community to see if my project is viable or not, and if it is, how hard will it be to make it. I’m really inexperienced in programming and electronics, but after seeing what the arduino is capable of I bought one and I’m interested in getting more experienced in both, programming and electronics. I will show you what I intend to do and then I’m going to ask some questions about the project.

Well, let me show what I intend to do.

For research purposes I want to develop an interactive machine that does the following: A panel will be able to show one of two colors at a given time, let’s say that at a given time the panel light up a red LED and in another time it lights up a green LED.
Besides the panel there will be installed a sensor (IR? Motion?), two push buttons, two white LED’s (one attached over each push button) and a servo motor. The panel, the sensor, the two buttons, the two white LED’s, and the servo motor should run in the following way:
The panel will start lit up with one of the two colors (red or green). While the panel is lit the sensor senses motion in front of the panel and after 3 seconds detecting motion the two white LED’s attached to the push buttons are turned on, with the panel still remaining on. After this occurs, If the panel is lit in red and a press is given to the button #1 the servo does a turn and the panel and the white LED’s over the buttons will turn off for 5 seconds, but if the press is given to button #2 while the red panel light is lit then the servo stands still and the panel and the white LED’s over the buttons will turn off for 30 seconds.

On the other hand If the panel shows a green light and a press is given to the button #2 than the servo turns and the panel and the LED’s over the buttons will turn off for 5 seconds, but if a press is given to the #1 button then the servo stands still and the panel and the LED’s over the buttons will turn off for 30 seconds. It’s a simple condition, if red light Is on then only press on button#1 will make servo turn, if the panel shows green light then just press on button #2 will make the servo turn.
Some details remain: The panel should light up the colors in some random kind of way. If the buttons are pressed while the panel or the white LED’s over the buttons aren’t lit there should not be any response of the servo or the LED’s themselves.

My questions are the following:

Will the arduino be able to handle this kind of thing?
What is the degree of skill necessary to do something like this? (I know I’ll probably will have to do lots of other smaller projects, but anyway…)
Is there some way of recording what is happening, like what button was pressed when one or the other color was show by the panel?

Well I guess that’s more than enough for me right now, thanks for the advises and sorry for the long post!

PS.: On the Attachments there is a type of drawing indicating what i intend the arduino to do.

Sounds like doable, you have to do some good timekeeping.

• check the examples on the tutorial section, there is a lot to learn. (parts that you need.
  • Pay especially attention to blink without delay as this technique makes fast responsive sketches.

Check this site for logging - Data-Logger Shield for Arduino - although the example is a fridge it works quite well

Then of course you need to combine the several sensors.

Hopes this gets you started.

If there are questions just post them in this thread ,

Succes!