Vibration Sensor for Dryer

Hi,

I am very new to electronics and am wondering if a project is feasible, and if so, how to get started.

I want to put a sensor on my dryer that will detect when the dryer stops running. When this happens the device would trigger a text message to me notifying me that the load is done. This could be done my making an API call to my Twilio.com phone number which forwards to my phone.

Is this possible?

Thanks for the help and sorry for my lack of knowledge!

It is possible. But why the vibration sensor? If the dryer is electrical control you can use the absence of voltage instead

nilton61: It is possible. But why the vibration sensor? If the dryer is electrical control you can use the absence of voltage instead

He doesn't want to make any electrical connections.

Yes, one of the accelerometer modules available would do that pretty well.

An interesting alternative would be a wind sensor in the exhaust stream. You can use a simple version of a dual-thermistor anemometer.

sounds like the other homework project where the poster wanted to create a self enclosed ball that would be put in the laundry with the clothes.

it would monitor the current state and report upon any changes.

for the dryer, the sensor in the laundry would have to have the wireless penetrate the enclosure, then connect to some device that would 'call' the phone.

if wifi were available, one might be able to send an IM or e-mail.

this would be a great product that could be sold for laundromats. you put in your load, if the sensors were able, it could tell yo when it was done washing., the temperature and humidity and when it was done drying. the benefit of drying is that instead of just x minutes, you could remove your clothes when dry enough.

I took my laundry out and it was super hot. seems the lint filter was clogged and the clothes were over heating due to low airflow.

such a sensor could have sent me an alert.

Paul__B:

nilton61: It is possible. But why the vibration sensor? If the dryer is electrical control you can use the absence of voltage instead

He doesn't want to make any electrical connections.

There's no need to make a connection if he uses a current sensor on the mains cable. https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11005 The heater, fan and motor will draw several amps when on. An absence of that current will tell him when the dryer has stopped.