Video Game to Output to Arduino

Hello. I'm a video game developer that has started to experiment with Arduino. I have an idea and I'm wondering if it's feasible.

Basically, I want to have a PC video game or digital interface send output signals to an Arduino to control something. For example, you hit a block in Mario and it sends a signal to turn a light on in a physical room. I know there's a lot about making Arduino controllers, but those are input devices.

I know you can draw graphics with a .ino program, but making a video game that way might be too difficult. I'm most familiar with C#/XNA.

Any ideas on how this might be possible? Or another way to accomplish it?

I found this! This might work youtube video

But the link doesn’t. Make it clickable instead of having to copy and past. Use the 12th icon from the left that looks like a chain.

I am not clear about what you want to do. Do you want to run a game on the Arduino using the display attached to an Arduino? Or run it on the PC and send messages to the Arduino to make real things happen that match the interactions occurring in your game?

Grumpy_Mike: Or run it on the PC and send messages to the Arduino to make real things happen that match the interactions occurring in your game?

Yes, this one.

Thanks for fixing the link. Yes that sort of thing is perfectly possible, there are many approaches to doing this and from skimming through the video this looks perfectly reasonable.

Another approach would be to use Fermata https://www.arduino.cc/en/reference/firmata where the Arduino is passed messages to do things. It is not as flexible as the approach in the video but might be simpler to get started with.

Grumpy_Mike: Thanks for fixing the link. Yes that sort of thing is perfectly possible, there are many approaches to doing this and from skimming through the video this looks perfectly reasonable.

Another approach would be to use Fermata https://www.arduino.cc/en/reference/firmata where the Arduino is passed messages to do things. It is not as flexible as the approach in the video but might be simpler to get started with.

Thanks for your response. I'm really excited about this idea and can't wait to try it out. Now I'm beginning to wonder if the inverse is possible too. Could a device, say a motion sensor, be set up that when triggered could change something in a video game? This could be a very interesting project.

Yes that is possible, in effect it’s just a fancy games controller, like a button on a joystick or in fact the joystick itself.