Video Processing with Arduino UNO

Hey guys! We'll I am writing here because I have a couple of doubts and I was looking for some answers I couldn't find anywhere else. I am working on a project where I would like to have a little video camera and a stereo microphone connected through WIFI transmitting real time video and audio to a computer. At first I was thinking about using an Arduino UNO to do all the work but I began researching and found that plenty of people tend to agree that an Arduino has too little processing power and resources to process the video and send it through WI-FI to a computer in the network.

My first question is: would it be possible to accomplish this with an Arduino UNO?

My second question: If it is not possible to accomplish with an Arduino UNO, what other options (development boards, microcontrollers) would I have to implement this project that are about the same size or maybe a little bit bigger than the Arduino UNO? Would a Beagle Board accomplish this task seemingly?

Thank you very much for your support guys! Greetings!

Maybe this would be a good project for the Raspberry Pi?

My first question is: would it be possible to accomplish this with an Arduino UNO?

Short answer: No.

I would go for an embedded linux solution with an AMD A9 or the like. An AMD Cortex M3 (Beagle) has also not enough processing power to do realtime video.

You can get wifi cams that do what you basically want to do. Google foscam and wifi cam.

First of all thank you very much for anwering. I am really sorry but I forgot to mention that I will also be using a couple of servo motors because the final project would be a robot and that's the reason why I was thinking of an arduino like platform. Also when I said the Beagle Board I actually meant the Beagle Bone... Sorry! So would the Beagle Bone be up to the task of sending real time video through WIFI or do you guys know any other good platform to implent this?

I was thinking also of having a raspberry pi that processes the video and audio and sends it through Wifi and also an arduino connected to the raspberry pi through a small usb cable so the raspberry pi receives the commands and the Arduino moves the motors/controls the sensors. I am not sure if all that makes sense. I just need to know more or less what is the best platform to implement this and from there I will work. Really that is the biggest question I have. All I want is not having to spend money on a lot of different platforms just to find out they wont work for my project Thank you so so much you guys!

You can buy a WiFi web cam that does what you need. Nothing to stop you reinventing your own using a USB webcam and embedded PC, but it's quite a lot of work and seems unnecessary except as an academic exercise.

If you want the PC to steer/control the webcam then Arduino seems like a good solution to control servos to do that. Presumably the steering commands for the camera would ultimately come from the PC so you would need comms between the Arduino and PC - you could use WiFi for that, or bluetooth, or whatever else you wanted. In the solution the video processing and camera control systems would be completely separate and independent and your PC application would be the only connection between them.

So would the Beagle Bone be up to the task of sending real time video through WIFI or do you guys know any other good platform to implent this?

I just got an Acer 11.6" netbook for ~$300 that might be good for use on your bot platform. Plus it has a useful life beyond the bot phase passes.