Video streaming via bluetooth

Hello, I've recently purchased an Arduino Uno.

I want to connect a camera, preferebly a webcam to arduino and then stream it via a bluetooth module that's availible for purchase but I've had thoughts recently if this is even possible.
I viewed another thread where a person asked if it was possible to send via the serial port but since it's low bandwidth it wasn't (except for really low resolution).

Bluetooth supports a much higher bandwidth output I guess, but is it possible?

Also, if you know any good tutorial or example of someone connecting a camera / webcam to an arduino board please answer with a link.

Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

Arduinos are not powerful enough to handle video, consider a Raspberry Pi instead.

In addition to arduinos not having enough bandwidth, classic bluetooth also has bandwidth issues. The latest generation of bluetooth now will transfer data over the radio ranges wifi uses, but I believe at that point, you lose the power savings that bluetooth gives you over wifi. Given many of the bluetooth devices have not been updated, I would skip bluetooth altogether, and go straight to wifi. You can get various webcams (mostly security webcams) that already transmit over wifi, so skip the middleman, and have the camera talk directly to the network. You could use the Arduino to pan and tilt the camera, and maybe control it to start/stop, depending on the camera.

In terms of raspberry pi, those are hard to get right now, and not really setup for embedded programming. Instead I would think something like a Simplecortex (http://imall.iteadstudio.com/featured-product/im120410002.html) or other embedded ARM with an embedded OS would work better.

MichaelMeissner:
In addition to arduinos not having enough bandwidth, classic bluetooth also has bandwidth issues. The latest generation of bluetooth now will transfer data over the radio ranges wifi uses, but I believe at that point, you lose the power savings that bluetooth gives you over wifi. Given many of the bluetooth devices have not been updated, I would skip bluetooth altogether, and go straight to wifi. You can get various webcams (mostly security webcams) that already transmit over wifi, so skip the middleman, and have the camera talk directly to the network. You could use the Arduino to pan and tilt the camera, and maybe control it to start/stop, depending on the camera.

In terms of raspberry pi, those are hard to get right now, and not really setup for embedded programming. Instead I would think something like a Simplecortex (http://imall.iteadstudio.com/featured-product/im120410002.html) or other embedded ARM with an embedded OS would work better.

Thanks for the answer. Too bad it won't probably work. However wifi isn't an option because of the environment my project is aimed at. There isn't going to be any wifi network that I can use nearby, do you know any other solution that can handle streaming? I realised today that I should probably have thought of making this thread before buying an arduino to begin with. But I can still use it for other projects :slight_smile:

stonetwig:
Thanks for the answer. Too bad it won’t probably work. However wifi isn’t an option because of the environment my project is aimed at. There isn’t going to be any wifi network that I can use nearby, do you know any other solution that can handle streaming? I realised today that I should probably have thought of making this thread before buying an arduino to begin with. But I can still use it for other projects :slight_smile:

It depends on a number of things. Note, my knowledge of this point is purely theoretical in that I’ve thought about doing wireless video to connect my DSLR shooting in live view mode (i.e. using the back viewfinder, instead of using the optical viewfinder), and sending the analog video stream to another device which will display it on a hand held monitor, and then using a radio shutter release to fire the camera.

Also, even if there isn’t a host nearby that provides free wifi service, you can still use the wifi radio bands for private transmissions, unless the environment is so noisy that you can’t send a signal and have it received, or is illegal to use those bands (hospitals perhaps?).

If your camera puts out analog video signals (usually using a composite cable, typically called a RCA jack), you can go to ebay and search for Wireless RCA Video Transmitter Receiver, you will find various units made for people installing backup monitors in cars. These all run at 12 volts, so you will need 2 12-volt batteries as well (you can get rechargeable batteries that do 5, 9, and 12 volt simultaneously on ebay as well).

Then it should be a matter of hooking up the camera to the transmitter, hooking up a TV monitor to the receiver, plugging everything in, and hopefully it works.

Lets see, for the items I have on my watch list in ebay, the costs would be something like:

• $20US for the transmitter/receiver
  • $50US for 2 5/9/12 volt batteries
  • $20US for a 2.5" LCD monitor that displays 320x240

Or roughly $90 or so.